Flower or offset (aeonium)

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
ElieEstephane

Flower or offset (aeonium)

Post by ElieEstephane »

Well this is my very old aeonium. I believe it to me some sort of A. Haworthii. A couple of days ago a bud appeared only on the oldest branch. It doesnt usually offset this way. However, another aeonium haworthii (kiwi) in my collection does offset this way. My concern is that if this is a flower bud the branch will die (which im trying to avoid).
I'd like to hear opions about this bud and if i should remove it to delay flowering and death (if it is indeed a flower bud).
Thank you.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Nic

Re: Flower or offset (aeonium)

Post by Nic »

The plant looks more like a echeveria, if it was a aeonium and flowering, the flower stock would rise from the center of the rosette the same way a sempervivum flowers. The echeveria flowering doesn't hurt the plant, thus it is fine.
There is no cactus you can't eat, but you just might regret it if you eat the wrong one.
ElieEstephane

Re: Flower or offset (aeonium)

Post by ElieEstephane »

Nic wrote:The plant looks more like a echeveria, if it was a aeonium and flowering, the flower stock would rise from the center of the rosette the same way a sempervivum flowers. The echeveria flowering doesn't hurt the plant, thus it is fine.
Well that explains a lot! I has many aerial roots under there which put me off.
Thanks a lot!
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen: