Stapeliad cold tolerance

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
cwhatson1414

Stapeliad cold tolerance

Post by cwhatson1414 »

I have a cold frame in my yard where I am growing my cacti and succulents for the summer and fall until it gets cold. I would like to move my stapeliads outdoors, but nights here, even in summer, frequently dip below fifty degrees Fahrenheit for 2-6 hours. Days can be between 60-90 F. I am wondering if any stapeliads can take temps below fifty for a short time without damage.
williamsii823

Re: Stapeliad cold tolerance

Post by williamsii823 »

I live in Florida, USA, and have many stapeliads of different kinds. On cold nights, when the temperature is expected to drop below 55 degrees, I take my more delicate ones indoors. Like Huernia, Orbea, and Hoodia. Others get left outside, because they're in the ground. If it's going to be very bad, I'll cover them with an old blanket or towel. So far, (several years) there has been no damage. Stapelia gigantea, S. leendertziae, and S. nobilis have been fine. You could cover your cold frame with something similar. Just remove the covering once the temperature starts to climb in the morning.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

The only one I have experience with is Orbea variegata, it seems to be fine as long as it's kept above freezing.
Spence :mrgreen:
xerophyte

Post by xerophyte »

I live in South Africa, and we have many of the typical stapeliads in our gardens. The species from the eastern coastal regions and Lowveld will survive down to around 5 °C (41 °F) without issues. Those from the Highveld and Drakensberg regions can survive frost down to -3 °C or so. But it is necessary to protect them from morning sun after a night of frost. An average July night where I stay is around -1 °C, and this is not cold enough to kill Stapelia hirsuta or gigantea, for instance. We also have Huernia transvaalensis, Orbeopsis lutea and several other species growing wild, so one can assume they will be fine down to 40 °F at least. The Central African stapeliads are a different matter.
kuni1234567

Post by kuni1234567 »

I know from experience that certain Stapeliads are not very cold tolerate especially ones that originate from near the equator. I would look at the minimum temperatures where the plants originate and decide what is best for the plants.