Help with succulents

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
kwl11

Help with succulents

Post by kwl11 »

Hi I'm new to growing succulents and I have a few questions! Unfortunately mine have been through a lot because I'm a university student, so I had to take them home for the summer and then bring them back to school.
First picture: how long will it take for leaves to grow back on stems? Because the succulents were getting leggy, I cut the stems and got a grow light. I wish they were even shorter but I don't want to cut the stems too short and not have any leaves left. I'm trying to figure out if there are other problems keeping the leaves from growing back because they've been like this for a few weeks.

Second picture: any idea how to fix leaves that are curling downward? I thought the problem was dehydration at first, but they didn't improve upon watering and the leaves feel still feel firm.
Any help would be much appreciated!! Thanks :)
Attachments
image1.jpg
image1.jpg (84.56 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
image2.jpg
image2.jpg (76.47 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
Aiko

Re: Help with succulents

Post by Aiko »

kwl11 wrote:because they've been like this for a few weeks.
When one grows succulents, one needs a lot of patience. Things usually don't go fast (besides rot...), and sometimes things can take months or even years for any developments happening. Growing shoots and roots are one of those things that could take longer than you might like. If it will ever happen (but I feel confident it will happen with your plants).

Droopy leaves like the second picture, strikes me as frost damage on first sight. I don't see the same things happen with the other plants, so I could be wrong. Had the plants to endure some frosts recently?
kwl11

Post by kwl11 »

They haven't had any frost recently. I got them in April and they looked healthy then, and they've been kept in a warm place all summer. Thanks for your advice!
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

Does that pot have any drainage? It looks to me that they may have gotten too much water in that second picture.
kwl11

Post by kwl11 »

The pot doesn't have drainage. I've always been worried that that's a problem, but it hasn't really presented any consequences until recently. I just ordered a new pot that does have drainage. I also have grittier soil for repotting the succulents. Unfortunately, the bottom of the droopy succulent was rotted, so I'm trying to propagate the leaves that were at the top of the plant.

Thanks for the help!