Plant leaves rolling inwards

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
samreu

Plant leaves rolling inwards

Post by samreu »

Sorry for the quality of the pic - any ideas why the leaves on the middle plant (aloe?? can you confirm ID) are curling inward from the sides?? Planted in a gritty soil, watering is every 3-4 weeks since November (Canadian winter). Light is diffused with no direct sunlight.
Does it need more water? Normal for the leaves to do this with reduced watering in winter? I repotted this last September into the gritty mix and since then a 1" or so side shoot has sprung up.
Thanks for your input.
Attachments
ALS - WIN_20180118_081603.JPG
ALS - WIN_20180118_081603.JPG (69.69 KiB) Viewed 4777 times
ElieEstephane

Re: Plant leaves rolling inwards

Post by ElieEstephane »

Leaf curling is due to thirst. If it's in a heated room, it could use a little more watering.
Another possible less likely cause could be root problems
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
samreu

Post by samreu »

Thanks, I'll increase the watering a little - temperature in the room is around 21 degrees C (70 F) with humidity in the house (dry) varying from 20-25% at this time of year due (November to April) to central heating in the house - that changes to 40-45% in the spring and summer months. Would some spraying in the drier months help or not advised?
As you look at the plant, the large leaf at the 2 o'clock position hasn't been affected at all?
Any confirmation on ID? aloe of some sort?
Tx
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

I noticed that my aloes and haworthiopsis curl when i planted them in a gritty mix. They are perfectly healthy and growing but with leaves always curled. The only parial remedy was a little more watering and spraying on the leaves (not too much to cause fungal diseases). However, your case is probably thirst.
As for the ID, i can barely see the features of the plant. Maybe a better photo would help although i'm no expert in aloes.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
samreu

Post by samreu »

Here is a better pic that hopefully helps.
Attachments
Succ01-18.jpg
Succ01-18.jpg (105.93 KiB) Viewed 4767 times
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Looks like it may have some gasteria in its lineage
Nic23

Post by Nic23 »

I think that's a partridge breasted aloe - Gonialoe variegata, I'm pretty sure because I have one and it's done the exact same thing. I'll try watering mine a little more too :D
In the UK
Dogs are better than people :D
Novice Plant Parent