Avonia quniaria alstonii recovery

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Subverted

Avonia quniaria alstonii recovery

Post by Subverted »

Back to the forum for my every couple year post to share with you all this Avonia quniaria alstonii that I have had for many years (since 2009 I think).

In mid 2012 it had a nasty encounter with mealybugs and shortly thereafter a fungal issue that left it looking like this:

After a few years of careful care and patiently waiting I think this plant is finally really a nice specimen of its species.

If only all my plants could make such amazing recoveries! Just wanted to post this up as an encouragement to anyone who's plants end up with an unfortunate health issue...it is not always a lost cause. :D
MagiCarpus

Re: Avonia quniaria alstonii recovery

Post by MagiCarpus »

mmm...it's forming a nice caudex.
A. quinaria is near the top of my wanted list but I just couldn't seem to find seeds anywhere.
I read somewhere that their seeds are short-lived and for that reason they're rarely offered.
I suck at identification :dontknow:
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Seeds are not hard to find. Quite easy, even...
Just check the seed lists mentioned in the thread 'Updated seed lists' for trustworthy (commercial) seed providers.
C And D

Post by C And D »

Avonia quniaria are for sure one of my all time favorites.

I had many large ones over the years, they eventually succumb to rot, but they usually rot from the top down.
I think they may get over heated in the summer or if not protected from sun burn.

I never grew any from seed. I try and cross them but it rarely happens because I rarely have 2 flowering at the same time.
They sure aren't self fertile with a bunch of seedlings growing at the base like the Anacampseros.
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
MagiCarpus

Post by MagiCarpus »

How are you Mr. Fry,

When I discovered this forum it was your "Welcome Craig Fry!" thread that got me hooked for hours and certainly set some goals to aim for.
http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... start=1245
Regrettably you seemed to post much fewer photos these days, although I understand life could sometimes get in the way.

Even so I still eagerly look forward to you treating us with a few updates or novelties.
I suck at identification :dontknow:
Shmuel

Post by Shmuel »

Wow - a beautiful plant. Just goes to show that in the world of succulents - where there is life there is hope!

Shmuel
Jerusalem, Israel
Amazing plants, amazing form, amazing flowers...
Amazing cacti!