275 mixed lithop seeds...NOW i gatta sow!!

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
KittieKAT

Re: 275 mixed lithop seeds...NOW i gatta sow!!

Post by KittieKAT »

I'll have to look that up, i wish i heard about that earlier on, Thoe i found the material. Above to use
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Have another question got these in the mail today, they say lithop seeds, but i have never personally seen seeds that look like THIS?
Did i get dooped?
Attachments
They look like ground up pepper, and are huge for mesemb seeds..
They look like ground up pepper, and are huge for mesemb seeds..
CAM01769.jpg (43.11 KiB) Viewed 2255 times
Last edited by KittieKAT on Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CactusMad

Post by CactusMad »

Hi,there's no picture?

Sylv.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Do u see it now
Attachments
CAM01769.jpg
CAM01769.jpg (43.11 KiB) Viewed 2255 times
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

I see it.
They look quite big. They should be really tiny, the size of sand grains. And I would expect the seeds not to be black but light brown. But maybe that differs with some Lithops species. But in general I would think this is not Lithops.

Where the seeds offered to you as Lithops, or as 'Living Stones'? They could maybe be Pleiospilos?
CactusLover

Post by CactusLover »

They are way too big for lithops seeds. Lithops seeds look like dust.
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

I kno that's what i think too! Yes they said 200 mixed lithop seeds on the package.. I've NEVER ever ever seen seeds like this from any mesemb that I've grown personally... lithop seeds are usually microscopic NOT big chunks of pepper looking stuff..
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

I have alot of lithop seeds I've done a trial run by sowing some but when i got these in the mail they other day i was like :O
What the heck is this crap? I decided to throw some in some soil and see what comes up, but I'm being nothing...
CactusMad

Post by CactusMad »

Where have they come from ?

Sylv.
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

KittieKAT wrote:Have another question got these in the mail today, they say lithop seeds, but i have never personally seen seeds that look like THIS?
Did i get dooped?
Possibly, but there is one way to find out for sure....

Let us know what comes up!
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

I'll let everyone kno, but i doubt anything will pop up and if it does I'll be completely shocked!
I got them from an eBay seller that a lot of people referred to me on different garden sites...there eBay account had a 100% positive rating and i checked thru the whole rating to make sure they weren't fake ratings that they posted themselves or that other pple posted for them a number of times to raise the ratings....so idk why i got these weird seeds?
Maybe they ran out and thought since they already took my money that i just may be new to mesembs and NOT kno what there seeds look like...but i do. I've tried contacting them but haven't heard anything back...grrrrr.

Time will tell if I've been dooped or not.

But good news Is that my seeds that i sowed a little while ago are showing microscopic green dots in the soil soo I'm guessing they're sprouting :) i even planted another batch but i didn't cover the seeds this time as suggested above.
I'm gonna do a few other batches using different sowing methods in different mediums to see what works best for my area's temp and location.

Also i have a few lithops in my collection that are getting a little wrinkly there in a big pot all mixed together, some are putting up flower budssome look like they are getting ready to change skins or put up bbuds but i don't wanna screw up there cycles if they are... to my knowledge this should be the time that they should be getting no water during winter no matter how shriveled they become and it should be spring by the time the new leaves are gone and its safe to water again....but at the same time some are about to flower and some have already flowered and i thought water should be steadily decreased after the flowering period andwater should be stopped completely altogether by late September and its October ... sooo to water or not to water the shriveled one's That's the question?
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

These are the ones wrinkled whom have flowered already:
Lithops marmorata Sh572a
Lithops marmorata v. Elishae
Lithops Dintri ssp. Brevis
Lithops Julii c297
Lithops karasmontana c227 (Not as bad as they other's)

Flowering buds coming up:
Lithops hookeri v. Susannae
Lithops lesliei 'albinica'

Dead flowers:
Lithops bromfeildii v. Bromfeildii

I shouldn't water the ones that have already flowered and the flowers are dead and gone right?
But i should give the ones in the pot that are putting buds up water until the flower dies even Thoe it's October?
And the one with the dying flower should i give him one last water before i stop completely?

God i wish i didn't put them all into one pot now this is gonna drive me crazy SMH. ..:X
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Sooo today i dug up the ones that are about to flower and put them in the same pot and put the other's that have already flowered in the group pot so they can do there skin change together without the last watering of the ones that are flowering to disturbed them.
Soo hopefully they will all be okay, this is there first winter with me personally so kinda nervous, even Thoe my other lithops have survived last year but they were only yearlings so they were watered like babies till there first change which should be this year, i had one flower outta the bunch this year so I'm guessing one was older then i thought lol
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Had a crazy discovery today! So those ground up black pepper looking so called "lithop" seeds actually are sprouting....something. i actuallyhad to put a layer of sand over the seeds because they were growing really really long roots tying to anchor themselves into the ssoil but couldn't because i left the seeds pretty much uncovered... they don't really look like my other batch of lithop seeds that are sprouting at the moment but maybe its to early to tell what they will be...I'm totally shocked, i wonder WHAT they are?
My only guess is if they are lithop seeds that have to be either raw flowering stone seeds and petals all mashed up, or....some crazy lithop I've NEVER seen in my life that made even crazier seeds....literally my jaw has hit the floor on these ones guys, it was by chance i even looked into that container...i was checking up on the other batch and all off a sudden i look into the other pot and i did that slow blink double take combo as if i was seeing something that wasn't there.....really really strange, but really cool, i can't wait to see what they are. Mystery seeds sprouting, who knew?
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Here's what the sprouts look like from these mysterious so called "lithop" seeds..hmmmmmm, what are they?!?! :-k
Attachments
CAM01771.jpg
CAM01771.jpg (94.82 KiB) Viewed 2142 times
CAM01772.jpg
CAM01772.jpg (66.14 KiB) Viewed 2142 times