Ordering seeds

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Aiko

Re: Ordering seeds

Post by Aiko »

stefan m. wrote:Ill probably order some stuff from there provied if it still has cintia seeds in spring.
Still I refer to one of my previous messages.
No need to wait, there is nothing to gain by waiting. It is only a risk: you will not get them at all, or way too late (there is a few weeks or months waiting time for many seed lists).
keith

Post by keith »

from your list I only have Mammillarias I'm going to write this as I remember what I have growing so no real order

M lenta slow grower germinates well from seed, herrerae seeds germinates either great or poor IDK why, humboltii seeds like herrerae but smaller never germinated for me, carmenae small seeds germinate well, roseocentra small seeds germinate well, crucigera tiny seeds germinates well and rots easy, slevenii tiny seeds germinates ok, deherdtiana big seeds poor germination, theresae big seeds poor germination but seeds will germinate for years so don't throw them away, coahuilensis seeds are red germinates well, grahamii small black seeds germinate ok needs heat. heyderi I threw them in a pot outside and they germinated - easy , candida pretty easy fast grower, plumosa easy fast grower. schedianea easy fast grower.

many mammillarias are easy to germinate , Small seeds from red seed fruits germinate easier than the big seeds found inside the plant stems.

I like lenta and carmenae for moderately rare species not too hard not too easy.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Aiko what about frost? Ive thought that once the weather reaches<0 C" seeds could get damaged by the cold and the humidity.
I dont know if your postal services are that reliable, but ours sure arent.
Keith ive looked up most of these plants(on koehres). The ones that were available were the ones that were not that interesting from your list(they looked pretty common and not noteworthy with usual mammilaria characteristics-tiny white or magenta flowers, tight or fishhook spines). The ones the were interesting and buy worhy(large flowers, unusual stems etc) were not there. I dont know how thats possible but its definitely not what i wanted.Ill guess that you order seeds from the USA exclusively and your seed font is different from the usual one in europe.
Fatich

Post by Fatich »

stefan m. wrote:Aiko what about frost? Ive thought that once the weather reaches<0 C" seeds could get damaged by the cold and the humidity.
I dont know if your postal services are that reliable, but ours sure arent.
Keith ive looked up most of these plants(on koehres). The ones that were available were the ones that were not that interesting from your list(they looked pretty common and not noteworthy with usual mammilaria characteristics-tiny white or magenta flowers, tight or fishhook spines). The ones the were interesting and buy worhy(large flowers, unusual stems etc) were not there. I dont know how thats possible but its definitely not what i wanted.Ill guess that you order seeds from the USA exclusively and your seed font is different from the usual one in europe.
Check this site :
http://www.cactus-miroshnichenko.com.ua/index.php
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Poor seed selection. I also look out for trichocereus seeds(common types) , and this doent even have that. Sorry.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

stefan m. wrote:Aiko what about frost? Ive thought that once the weather reaches<0 C" seeds could get damaged by the cold and the humidity.
There are people up here that freeze the seeds. Assuming it is not for many months on end or longer, should not be that bad (although I would not prefer it for my seeds). But how long will the seeds be confronted with freezing temperatures? In the postal sorting facilities, I am sure they will be kept at or close to room / working temperatures. In the postal van I am sure they will be in a frost free are too. And then there is the mail bin of your house. If you have an externally housed mail bin, that might be a problem. Otherwise the seeds should be safe.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

I live in a apartment. Tell you what, ill order next week a small shipment, cintia included. Unless it costs a lot more than id expect, or they dont ship here, should be fine.
Ksenija87

Post by Ksenija87 »

Stefan, do not order from Koehres! I ordered 5 different Ariocarpus (fissuratus, fissuratus hintonii, agavoides, retusus and retests pink flowers), for an amount of circa 20? and 50 seeds... None of them germinated! Only some succulents seeds (Huernia hystrix) germinated (5 out of 10). Since now I always bought from kakteen.cz, and the success rate for me was about 65%. Of course, I'm a novice, but I find these one competitive on price and on the quality of seeds.

Bests,

Francesca
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Francesca , im not gonna lie, their website is a proper mess, and seed selection is bad.(no big plants, no good (on the list) plants either).
The only positive side i got was that they had cheap square pots- i topic which i opened much later than this, and am grateful to you for finding an answer. However, with the question at hand im only considering to order from this french site -ADBLPS when the new seed list arrives. seem to labeled as reliable.
While i cant guarantee koehress had good germination rates, from them i managed to germinate a pereskia and trichocereus seeds.
So i dont think all sellers are reliable or unreliable all the time. Depends on luck, conditions etc etc.
Ksenija87

Post by Ksenija87 »

Furthermore I tried to place an order today and they told me they're not selling seeds this year... So you basically got it
That's strange...