Seedling advice

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
GK23

Seedling advice

Post by GK23 »

G'day

I have recently gotten into growing cacti from seed.
I was wondering if anyone on the forum could tell me when I should start drying off the seedlings, as they are currently still in baggies. I know that the soil was not very well sterilised.
Any other advice is appreciated

Thanks! :D

Astrophytum Myriostigma - 4 months old
Astrophytum Asterias - 6 months old
Parodia - 6 months old
toadstar

Re: Seedling advice

Post by toadstar »

As long as they're not dying off from mold/fungus or anything, you can leave them in the bags for a few more months. Yours are looking great. They're big enough now that taking them out of the bag shouldn't be an issue if you need to do so. When you do, do it over a couple weeks, slowly opening the bag a little bit at a time so that there isn't any sudden shock for the seedlings.

The last batch I grew from seed I didn't bother to sterilize so I ended up taking them out of the bag after just a month. They're doing well but they perhaps grew at a slower rate than they would have otherwise in their first year.
GK23

Re: Seedling advice

Post by GK23 »

toadstar wrote:As long as they're not dying off from mold/fungus or anything, you can leave them in the bags for a few more months. Yours are looking great. They're big enough now that taking them out of the bag shouldn't be an issue if you need to do so. When you do, do it over a couple weeks, slowly opening the bag a little bit at a time so that there isn't any sudden shock for the seedlings.

The last batch I grew from seed I didn't bother to sterilize so I ended up taking them out of the bag after just a month. They're doing well but they perhaps grew at a slower rate than they would have otherwise in their first year.
Thanks for the info! :)