Back to ordering seeds

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
stefan m.

Back to ordering seeds

Post by stefan m. »

Next, im thinking rebutias(full range) , discocactus, ;echinopsis(lobivia)
Any good suggestions?
Would like info on growing yawia as well.
Also, does adblps dont reply unless I pay?
esp_imaging

Re: Back to ordering seeds

Post by esp_imaging »

I imagine ADBLPS is swamped with enquires since they only put their new list out on 25/11 - don't expect anything very soon from them.

Koehres have loads of Discocactus http://www.koehres-kaktus.de/shop/Cactu ... 1_307.html
Lots of options for Echinopsis/Lobivia and Rebutia among the usual European suppliers
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Koehres isn't too big on germination. Some work, a lot don't. Ordered twice, expensive species didnt work.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Alright, for anyone whose interested, a short (preliminary ) review on adblps
-some seeds went out of stock immediately(wanted 20 cintia seeds, ended up with only 5 :cry: ), trihocereus huascha too
-contact time seems to be really long(up to 5 days)-kinda slow, did not have this issue with koehres,or other sellers from ebay and amazon
-had good selection, but decided to order common ones in bulk(setiechinopsis, copiapoa bridgesii, harrissia justbertii, denmoza), and some of the recommended like echinocereus kniplainius and eriosyce.
-paid this morning, but still has not replied
-ordering requires excel usage, and is kind of a drag
Delivery yet to be confirmed, arrival and germination review on a later and much later date.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Update- ADBLPS
For some reason he thought the e-mail pseudonym to be my real name, even though i stated it earlier, and had to email him about it.
Also, he says that the items will be shipped in january....... Thats not satisfactory in the least.
So far, my optimism has fallen pretty low.
Hoping seeds will arrive and germinate good.
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

I have found that many seed sellers are very much behind the times in terms of internet commerce ("e-commerce"). The ordering systems are cumbersome, old, and fraught with errors/issues/complexity. Filling of orders often takes weeks or months.

I can only assume this is because of three factors:
1) Many operate their business more as a hobby than a true source of income.
2) Seeds and cactus in general are low revenue/low profit items so having money to invest in website upgrades/personnel/etc is limited.
3) Many in the trade are older (which is fine!) and often do not understand/embrace the latest tech solutions to online commerce.

It is frustrating at times, but understandable. I am not trying to pick on any particular seller.

It has become such a chore to order from some sources that I no longer do so. I try to get all of my seeds locally or from a very select group of online sellers. This, unfortunately, limits what I can grow.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

In macedonia-i am probably the only one who actually even produced seeds at a certain point of time, only one who actually germinates on a yearly basis. And wholesale is........dont even get me started on their business system.