Here's my propagator

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
birdguy34

Here's my propagator

Post by birdguy34 »

Here's what I'm using for a seed propagator. Not the best setup, but hey it works. It is a egg incubator. It can be found at most feed stores in the springtime. It cost around 20.00. It has a heat cable in the lid and if you use 3" pots or 8.5 oz coffee cups they fit underneath without touching the heat source and haven't melted one yet. You have to use a thermometer to get the desired temp.It holds humidity, so don't do any bagging until after removing pots that have germinated. It has 2 rather useless windows and there is no room for a light, but I just use it only for germination as I have a bright, un-airconditioned room upstairs that gets quite warm this time of year for the seedlings to grow in.ImageImage
Here are some of the results.Image This is Trichocereus huascha var. robusta, Ferocactus rectispinus, and Coryphantha tripugionacantha from early last year. I have some serious separating to do.Image This shows Oreocereus maximus, Echinocactus horizonthalonius, Glandulicactus uncinatus and my lone Echinomastus johnsonii. All from last August
Image Although barely visible, the center cup has about 15 Mammillaria tetrancitra seedlings from March.Image Top cup shows Epithelantha rufispina and bottom cup has Turbinicarpus pseudopectinatus.
Image This cups holds those cacti the DEA says I shouldn't grow!
Image This cup holds Melocactus conoideus and a few Uebelmannia flavispina.
Image Although doesn't look like much, this is one I'm most proud of, it contains well over a hundred year old Blossfeldia liliputana. I had a similar cup of Aztekium ritteri, but were touchy to keep going over the winter and have 2 seedlings left(more seed coming next week :D ).
Sorry about pic quality, I really pushed what my cheap camera is able to do, but feel you can at least see the green blobs and in many cases that is all you can see for the first year or so.
Chris
peterb

Post by peterb »

wow, the Blossfeldia results are spectacular indeed. All the seedlings look great, but having tried Blossfeldia a few times and only this last time hitting on a way to keep them going (7 months anyway!) I salute your propagating skill.

peterb
Zone 9
birdguy34

Post by birdguy34 »

If you don't mind me asking, what are you trying this time?
Chris
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Awesome man, great looking seedlings.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Chris, I used a plastic dessert cup, somewhat shallow, that came with its own tightly fitting clear lid. (I think it was rice pudding...might have been flan :-)

The mix was 5 parts Jiffy seed starter, 3 parts coarse sand, 2 parts turface. I sterilized the cup and mix in the microwave. Then I used a single layer of turface and sowed the seeds right onto it, spraying them down between the small rocks. The lid is still on, I've bottom watered maybe 3 times in 7 months (with purified water). Bright light only, no direct sun.

They're still tiny, but look good.

peterb
Zone 9
Tony

Post by Tony »

Lookin good Chris, at least you were able to get A. ritteri to germinate. I got a big fat goose egg. :(
Oh well, next! :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Quite a unique method, but obviously it is working! :thumbright:
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
kuni1234567

Re: Here's my propagator

Post by kuni1234567 »

I am thinking about buying a different egg propagator that has much better temperature control and humidity control. I have used many different seed propagators, but did not buy a commercial seed germinator. I will experiment with different temperature settings and see what works best.
kuni1234567

Re: Here's my propagator

Post by kuni1234567 »

I have done some research on different egg propagators and found a company called Brinsea that sells a number of different size propagators. I have tried to germinate cactus, succulent and cycad seeds using many methods and will try using a Brinsea egg propagator. I am tired of low germination rates and low seedling survival rates.