Summer heat

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
cactushobbyman

Summer heat

Post by cactushobbyman »

Get ready California, especially the Central Valley, highs of 112 degrees. #-o #-o #-o
Kamos

Re: Summer heat

Post by Kamos »

We knew it would get here eventually cactushobbyman! :) It was a nice spring while it lasted.
Neal
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Even reached the UK for a change, at least for a couple of days! Probably ours is just warm for you lot though. Have to watch the plants don't burn though since like me they are not used to it!

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/8 ... ummer-June
Kamos

Post by Kamos »

That is hot Dave! By the way ,thanks for sending all the rain :) ! We had a great precipitation year with lots of rain here and snow in the mountains.
I'm curious if there are any cacti species that actually thrives in extreme heat .
Neal
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

It's been up to 109 Fahrenheit (43C) in the greenhouse today with all the windows open. Don't know about any that thrive in extreme heat, I think unlike most other plants cacti can survive extreme heat and dryness, but that's different matter to thriving, since they simply shut down and estivate ( = to spend a hot, dry season in an inactive, dormant state, the summer equivalent of hibernate).
jfabiao

Post by jfabiao »

We've had that kind of temperatures this past weekend, Dave. Except it was out in the open, not in the greenhouse...
Z, in (mostly) sunny Lisbon.
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.pt/
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Today 110 degrees, and only 114 degrees in the greenhouse. #-o Not bad for just having a fan for cooling.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

And here i sit in the cool air of the evening thinking how you can stand all that heat. Im from lebanon (same mediterannean weather as italy and not like the nearby arab desert countries which we are not by the way) and june is always so hot. This year it has been very mild and breezy which is very weird. The cacti are loving it!
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Kamos

Post by Kamos »

Already a victim! :( This small Gymno.bruchii got scorched 2 days ago, even with afternoon shade.
I hope it will survive. I'll have to keep a close eye on all the plants through this heat wave.

In a 3 inch pot
20170620_131903-1632x918-652x367.jpg
20170620_131903-1632x918-652x367.jpg (103.84 KiB) Viewed 2379 times
Neal
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Looks like the heat is going to get this far north over the weekend, temperatures in the 90s f, possibly 98*f on Sunday. Doesn't sound that bad compared to what the SW has been getting, but it will be a shock - we've had a cold, wet Spring.
Spence :mrgreen:
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

cactushobbyman wrote:Get ready California, especially the Central Valley, highs of 112 degrees. #-o #-o #-o
Only 112°F? Here in Phoenix, we're laughing at your cool weather! 118° to 120° F as officially reported by the weather service. But many unofficial measurements in the valley of up to 125°F!

I have desert natives that have been in the ground for years getting sunburns this past week. :shock:
7george

Post by 7george »

:sunny: Arizona is not for men in the summer. 8) But even we will get some real heat (31 C) soon. Have to stock up some ice-cream for that.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
sundanz

Post by sundanz »

So far only 100 for about 2 days, showers in the afternoon. ( Texas). My cacti are in the Gh with a fan, so far so good. I watered them again today, they seem to like it.
Life's a Cactus in the Great State of Texas!!!
mdpillet

Post by mdpillet »

I just had my first plant ever croak from summer heat. A small Lithops lesliei that has been with me for a long time. On the positive side, all my epiphytes that are supposedly so heat-sensitive are doing fine and growing copiously here in AZ.
rsales3

Post by rsales3 »

Just spent last weekend in Palm Springs CA. where it spiked at 121 degrees F. The local landscaping don't mind too much. Visited Moorten's botanical garden or Desertland as Clark Moorten calls it. It was about 108 at 9 am when I visited. Over 3000 varieties of cactus and succulents, a must see if you're in the area. Glad to be back at home at only 95 degrees.

-Rei