Just Interesting ... thought you MIGHT like to see ...

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Just Interesting ... thought you MIGHT like to see ...

Post by WayneByerly »

When I first bought this Mammillaria karwinskiana ssp nejapensis, in the fall of 2015, it was, like most mamms, globular. After the first year it began to appear as though it was going to go the columnar way. Now, It has a pronounced "Y" look, like the very top of the cactus has begun to split into two directions. I have no questions about this, and I have no problems with it. I just thought that you, the members of this forum, would find this as interesting as I do. Well, maybe not that much, but i DO believe you will fine SOME interest in it.

A.jpg
A.jpg (140.43 KiB) Viewed 2163 times
... and this is from the top showing both ends of the "Y", as well as showing the flowers it has produced this year. Quite small, they are only about 1/3rd of an inch across, and are unspectacularly pale. And the outer petals have darker tips. I love them nonetheless.
C.JPG
C.JPG (202.03 KiB) Viewed 2163 times
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
stefan m.

Re: Just Interesting ... thought you MIGHT like to see ...

Post by stefan m. »

Youd be surpised but Y-division mammilarias, melocactus cephaliums, obregonias do happen, but are very uncommon.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

It's called dichotomous split. Happens almost always with M. Kawrinskiana and other mamms. Stenocactus too
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Potentially all cacti could branch dichotomously, though with most genera it is unusual. I have had one head on a Pseudolobivia do it. As Elieestephane says it is common, or even the norm in some Mamm's, Mammillaria crucigera and Mammillaria parkinsonii for instance. I have even seen "trichotomous branching" where the growing point divided three ways. Some collectors are worried when the plant does it that it has been damaged at the top, but it is a quite normal division of the growing point, unlike producing offsets at the top when the growing point goes blind.

http://zonagardens.com/showcase/mammill ... incushion/

http://mammillaria.forumotion.net/t1102 ... sempervivi
cactidan

Post by cactidan »

There an old specimen of mammillaria I cant remember which, that regularly appears at our branch shows that has done this multiple times. It is very big and magnificent.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

cactidan wrote:It is very big and magnificent.
It's funny how a regular number of names turn up every time I make a posting. Yours is one of them. It makes me smile to see a predictable set of names appear, knowing that these people love cacti & other succulents as much as I do.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

I wanted to share my Mammillaria karwinskiana and others taken today in bloom as are a lot of my Mammillaria. :)
Karwinskiana in full bloom
Karwinskiana in full bloom
1.jpg (130.63 KiB) Viewed 2080 times
M. parkinsonii three head getting to divide again to 6 heads
M. parkinsonii three head getting to divide again to 6 heads
2.jpg (129.06 KiB) Viewed 2080 times
M. rhodantha
M. rhodantha
3.jpg (85.56 KiB) Viewed 2080 times
M. pringlei grown outside
M. pringlei grown outside
4.jpg (156.12 KiB) Viewed 2080 times
8)
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

cactushobbyman wrote:I wanted to share my Mammillaria karwinskiana and others taken today in bloom as are a lot of my Mammillaria. :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

8)
These are gorgeous! Love your M. parkinsonii!
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

cactushobbyman wrote:I wanted to share my Mammillaria karwinskiana and others taken today in bloom as are a lot of my Mammillaria. :)
#1) i wish I still lived in a xeric environment so that I could expand my love of cacti and succulents into Landscaping.
#2) I've always loved the idea of having two or three of the same species of cactus in one container as I just think that that looks more natural as so many cacti grow in clumps. But man do you have some M. karwinskiana! Did you grow them from seed or did you just buy that many of them when you went to the cactus store? :D
3) I've got some Ferocactus latispinus seedlings that were planted early this spring and are now somewhere between a quarter to a half-inch of cross. if you're interested I'll send one of them (either a "twin" OR a "triplet") to you for the cost of the postage. I extend that same offer to anyone posting here.
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Did you grow them from seed or did you just buy that many of them when you went to the cactus store? :D

Not sure on any of them, I grow, buy, sale, trade, receive as presents and rescue plants. I have more not picture and the Mammillaria parkinsonii was purchased at a store that doesn't sell cactus but was among the house plants for sale. It had three small heads. :)
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

Pretty stuff... you can leave them all to me in your will when you die... :)
jfabiao

Post by jfabiao »

DaveW wrote:I have even seen "trichotomous branching" where the growing point divided three ways.
A Mammillaria perbella I have. ;)
Mammillaria_perbella_265_20160812.jpg
Mammillaria_perbella_265_20160812.jpg (414.32 KiB) Viewed 1999 times
Z, in (mostly) sunny Lisbon.
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.pt/
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

DaveW wrote:I have even seen "trichotomous branching" where the growing point divided three ways.
Mammillaria_perbella_265_20160812.jpg
Now THAT is amazing.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Usually most of the Mamm's sparingly divide dichotomously and the divided stems continue to grow for a while before doing so again if ever, but a few Mammillaria species repeatedly branch dichotomously and occasionally as Jfabiao's picture shows three times.

http://www.cactus-art.biz/note-book/Dic ... hotomy.htm

http://lophophora.blogspot.co.uk/search ... 0branching

And as was mentioned earlier even Melocactus cephaliums can do it since they are merely modified flowering stems.

http://www.sbs.utexas.edu/mauseth/Resea ... halium.htm
the_cheshirecat

Post by the_cheshirecat »

I don't have any constructive comments to offer if not:
I'm so envious of all your cacti that are flowering, growing, branching!!!
Ty the cheshirecat