Echinocereus Blooms 2012 ( updated and ID)

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Arizona Fero

Re: Echinocereus Blooms 2012 ( updated and ID)

Post by Arizona Fero »

Well vlani, you will have to take that up with Mark Sitter of BB Cactus Farm there all from his nursery, and he ID all of them for me. Martin
I DIG CACTUS
vlani

Re: Echinocereus Blooms 2012 ( updated and ID)

Post by vlani »

Well, let me give you my version then ;)

First one, marked as E. engelmannii - is actually stramineus. Engelmanni grows in your area, you might be able to see differences.

The one marked E.dasyacanthus. E. dasyacanthus proper always has yellow flowers, pretty large actually. Dasyacanthus hybrids often have nice purple or bright-pink flowers, there are some more rare color variations, but always large cup-shaped flowers. What you have is E.reichenbachii, very variable species, and this one has stem somewhat looks like white-spinned dasyacanthus, but is smaller and flowers give ID away

Next one down "E.polyacanthus"- true polyacanthus has red-orange flowers, and you have a nice hybrid instead, similar to ones from Oro Grande. I'd love to have such plant.

The one marked "E. rigidissimus -yellow". There is no such thing as yellow-flowering rigidissimus. Actually only a handful of Echinocerei got yellow flowers. These are: martimus that you have, viridiflorus, dasyacanthus, subimermus, stoloniferus. From that little of the spines I can see I suggest stoloniferus.

"echinocereus longisetus" - I'd say rayonesensis. E longisteus has hair-like spines.

"echinocereus rayonesensis" - probably E.stramineus again, if I judged it's size right. Sure no rayonesensis.