Some outside pictures

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
CoronaCactus

Re: Some outside pictures

Post by CoronaCactus »

Beautiful garden! Very nicely manicured.
Joel143

Post by Joel143 »

cactushobbyman wrote:
Joel143 wrote:Fantastic garden. I wish I had the same weather conditions as you to be able to do something that large. Due to all the rain in my area I really have to mend the soil for very fast draining. May I ask what is the large three columnar that you have polls around? Also with all your cacti so large, have you had any of them drop seed and sprout? And finally what kind of amendments did you add to your local soil, it really looks great....to me.
The plant that is staked is an Oreocereus celsianus. It had four, then we had a heavy period of rain and wind, and it fell over. When I tried to re-stand it, I lost one columnar in the process. After I got the plant upright, I staked it until it reestablish itself. This spring will be one year. It should be ready to start loosening the ties holding it to the stakes. I replanted the broken columnar in another area and still waiting for sign of new growth. I posted this under Leaning Tower of Oreocereus. I have not seen seedlings from seeds in the area, but I did have Opuntia seedlings sprout in different areas of my property far from where they grow. Now I dig out the native soil and back fill with both native soil, pea gravel and DE. I have heavy clay soil so I'm trying to change the soil only when I replant. I started the garden in 1994/95 and have made many changes and still making them today. School out in mid June, so it's back to making changes. :lol:

Your Oreocereus celsianus must be old plants. They look different, I have one but its only about 9 inches. Something for me to look forward to in the years to come. I want to place mine in ground but am so afraid due to the high rainfall in my area. I made a raised bed and used mostly DE and sandy loam with alittle potting soil. It drains pretty good. Just cant get over my hesitation to place some of my hardier cacti in it. I'm too afraid of losing them since I've had them for so many years. Some are just too big for pots anymore and getting to heavy to move. Guess I will have to just do it. Thanks for the reply.
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

The best I can fine of old pictures and the one I'm posting now is it could have been planted around 1996-1998. I believe I bought it at Home Depot possible in a 6 inch pot. I know I didn't buy plants in bigger pots. I transplanted it to its new location in the spring of 2002. I'm six feet tall and now it towers over me by a foot. When the other plant fell over, the root ball was around 30 inches in diameter a good 12 inches deep, and had some single roots going out more and deeper. 12 inches down is the heavy clay, and on a good year we get 11 inches of rain from Oct. through May. And I do have seeds.
2.jpg
2.jpg (176.73 KiB) Viewed 2769 times
8)
Joel143

Post by Joel143 »

Such a beautiful plant. Bought mine from Lowe's about two years ago when it was about 5 inches tall. Last year I noticed it wasn't growing so I unpotted it and found it had root rot. I never repotted it which was bad on my part, but cut all the old roots off and repotted in new mix. Now a year later seems ok just waiting on new growth to see if it took with new roots. I will need to find me another one but much larger. For me I want the largest I can find that can be shipped. Is it a day bloomer and how are the flowers?
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

It blooms over several days. Have some pictures on member topics, last page. viewtopic.php?f=31&t=25253&p=260018#p260018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Joel - I do think you'd have problems "in-ground". I have/had several Lowe's O. celsianus & trolli. Never went outside (not to "muss" their beautiful head of hair!) & still have lost 3 to rot -- last one late last Summer & it was a hot Summer & plant was in south window! Did quick emergency surgery & set stem aside for the Winter. End of Feb rootlets appeared, so I waited a couple of weeks & stuck it in dry soil. Havent' H20ed it yet, but it's growing like a trooper.
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Wanting to post this pic because I have been waiting a while for this one, Ferocactus stainesii var. pilosus, to flower. It started opening on Easter. I included a picture of my Old Man of the Andes just starting to bloom. It is now 88 inches tall. :D
1.jpg
1.jpg (218.93 KiB) Viewed 2525 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (193.79 KiB) Viewed 2525 times
8)
george76904

Post by george76904 »

Wow those sure are something! I have been planning a simple rock garden. Unfortunately I live to far north to ever have a garden like yours. WOW. It really is something especially that crested one.
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Flower season outside. :D

1.jpg
1.jpg (173.33 KiB) Viewed 2498 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (183.48 KiB) Viewed 2498 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (149.16 KiB) Viewed 2498 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (172.99 KiB) Viewed 2498 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (189.85 KiB) Viewed 2498 times
If two heads are better than one, four must be better. :lol:
6.jpg
6.jpg (189.93 KiB) Viewed 2498 times
8)
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Haven't been on "The Forum" hardly at all, Dennis, & just got thru taking some pics of Snowdrops -- so you know how far behind we are (after an even more brutal Winter than last year!). But your outside plant blossoms still take my breath away! =D> Have started a bunch of CH Agaves & Echinocereus, & potted up 8 or 9 cacti from M2G yesterday, so I still "at it", just out of the loop :roll:
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!