some of my hardy cacti and yuccas zone 6

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
cactusgrower313

some of my hardy cacti and yuccas zone 6

Post by cactusgrower313 »

these plants used to be grown outside but I ended up putting them in pots due to the landscape changing direction I will be building another raised bed for them. but for now these are the cold hardy plants I have.
Attachments
yucca gloriosa, I just obtained this one. anyone tell me their experience in growing these will be helpful
yucca gloriosa, I just obtained this one. anyone tell me their experience in growing these will be helpful
WP_20141228_024.jpg (41.31 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
ferocactus hamatcanthus
ferocactus hamatcanthus
WP_20141228_015.jpg (48.74 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
this yucca has strong leaves and sharp ends that can poke your eye out. many people tell me its a recurvifolia v gloriosa . any help ID
this yucca has strong leaves and sharp ends that can poke your eye out. many people tell me its a recurvifolia v gloriosa . any help ID
WP_20141228_016.jpg (40.59 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
hesperaloe parvifolia and cylindropuntia imbricata
hesperaloe parvifolia and cylindropuntia imbricata
WP_20141228_019.jpg (41.9 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
echinocereus reichnbachii v. caespitosous I have some cuttings grown outside ill do the same this spring.
echinocereus reichnbachii v. caespitosous I have some cuttings grown outside ill do the same this spring.
WP_20141228_022.jpg (32.33 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
opuntia santa rita
opuntia santa rita
WP_20141228_023.jpg (36.99 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
trying to root these opuntia fragilis but kinda failing
trying to root these opuntia fragilis but kinda failing
WP_20141228_014 (1).jpg (41.52 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
echinocereus viridiflorus
echinocereus viridiflorus
WP_20141228_026.jpg (36.9 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
A. Dean Stock

Re: some of my hardy cacti and yuccas zone 6

Post by A. Dean Stock »

Your Opuntia fragilis (really not that species but possibly O. fragilis hybrids) should root very readily if you give them a pot of their own. Lay the pads flat on the substrate or standing up with some of the pad base buried an inch or two. Don't water for two to three weeks and then sparingly. If temps are below 60F they probably would not need water until spring. Hard not to root Opuntia.
Dean
Albert Dean Stock,Ph.D.
cactusgrower313

A. Dean Stock wrote:Your Opuntia fragilis (really not that species but possibly O. fragilis hybrids) should root very readily if you give them a pot of their own. Lay the pads flat on the substrate or standing up with some of the pad base buried an inch or two. Don't water for two to three weeks and then sparingly. If temps are below 60F they probably would not need water until spring. Hard not to root Opuntia.
Dean
it maybe a fragilis hybrid. I will try to put them in a mineral based substrate its been two months and no rooting. the greenhouse stays fairly warm into mid 70 or 80 sometimes 90! I want them to have a head start so when its time to plant outside they are fairly good size. thank you for your reply it really helps. I have other posts on different subjects too. :D
7george

Post by 7george »

My Opuntia fragilis has smaller pads and roots easy in spring or summer, not now. They can feel the season somehow, I think. That time roots appeared so strong that pads were pushed out of the ground where I stuck it in before. No problems, pads can wait till spring or some sun will shine on. May be some moist with heat will help rooting.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
cactusgrower313

George my opuntia has rooted now! I have more in trying to root, the ones are rooting are all hardy to my zone 6 or 7. I had them placed near a heater and good light source
7george

Post by 7george »

Very good, cactusgrower313. But I would not rush these plants to grow right now and better keep it dormant. The sun is still not strong enough, and behind glass or plastic walls the spines will be weak and the pads - slim and ugly. The same apply to other Opuntias more or less too. Expect some normal growth in April or later. I am in zone 3 (or now 4 with climate change) and 3 - 4 months of outside nice weather is long enough for their growth. The rest of the year O. fragilis is dormant or looks like that. So I don't even try keeping some plants of the species inside, warm it or greenhouse it.
Good luck!
BTW, I like the way you placed these pads on the substrate - not with the cut in the ground. Roots will appear always from the down side and "on the side rim" like for the right one is the best way. :thumbright:
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
cactusgrower313

hi George. this year our winter is very light, like a lot of ssunlight! im also amazed about our winter this year too. we barely had one sunny days and ontop of that in the green house its like 80f with good sunlight and artificial light, I don't think they will elongate though or produce weak pads, I sure hope not haha. good growing! thank you for your input