Dormant in May?

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
dvdmsy

Dormant in May?

Post by dvdmsy »

Heya, so while we in the Northeast had a lovely, warm March, April and May have been cold and dreary and it looks that it'll continue that way. The result is that my opuntias (most of them) began growing new pads and have now stopped; some are even a bit etiolated due to lack of light despite being outside and Southeast facing (it's been annoyingly dark and cloudy pretty much constantly in NYC). My question: when (if) the sun comes out again in a couple of weeks, do I peel off the false-start opuntia pads and let them try again, or will the new ones rebound and start growing again? A few haven't grown at all in weeks...
Andy_CT

Re: Dormant in May?

Post by Andy_CT »

Sounds a bit odd to me. Have any pictures? All mine started new pads/flowers and they are coming along normally although a bit slow due the weather. But yeah no sun at all so far in May has been a bit frustrating :(
dvdmsy

Post by dvdmsy »

This one (opuntia columbiana I think...) came inside for a few days in April when it was in the 20's at nighttime. This surely contributed to the etiolation.
IMAG0964.jpg
IMAG0964.jpg (63.8 KiB) Viewed 4633 times
This is one of a couple that have just stopped growing.
IMAG0965.jpg
IMAG0965.jpg (59.31 KiB) Viewed 4633 times
The question remains, will those that have stopped growing resume eventually, or do I pull them off and start over?
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

Ah they're in pots. I personally haven't had much luck with Opuntias in a pot.

The O. columbiana pads might fatten up some more but the second one looks like it's already done growing.
dvdmsy

Post by dvdmsy »

Andy, thanks. That makes sense; I know they like it so much better when they're not in pots. You see the box that the Columbiana is sitting in? That's its new home, but I thought it wise to wait until it's growth spurt is over. Or, do you think I should re-pot now mid-growth?
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

dvdmsy wrote:Andy, thanks. That makes sense; I know they like it so much better when they're not in pots. You see the box that the Columbiana is sitting in? That's its new home, but I thought it wise to wait until it's growth spurt is over. Or, do you think I should re-pot now mid-growth?
With the pads that far along it won't matter. I'd go ahead and repot
dvdmsy

Post by dvdmsy »

Thanks, Andy!