First to bloom this year is...

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
fanaticactus

First to bloom this year is...

Post by fanaticactus »

My first experience with a Pediocactus simpsonii. We had a very wet winter with little snow, but this survived and has rewarded me with a series of nice blooms.
DSC06166.JPG
DSC06166.JPG (65.36 KiB) Viewed 3101 times
DSC06172.JPG
DSC06172.JPG (97.46 KiB) Viewed 3101 times
Some new Opuntia pads are showing lots of new growth on the areoles, so more to come later. First, I have to go through the gardens and pick out all those that didn't make it.
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
dvdmsy

Re: First to bloom this year is...

Post by dvdmsy »

Nice! Where did you find that Oregon / Nevada mountain friend? Or did you grow it from seed? I'm glad you're having some luck with your opuntias - an exciting time of year for us in the Northeast.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

dvdmsy wrote:Nice! Where did you find that Oregon / Nevada mountain friend? Or did you grow it from seed? I'm glad you're having some luck with your opuntias - an exciting time of year for us in the Northeast.
The Pedio came from Intermountain Cactus in Kaysville, UT, last year. Their website is: http://www.intermountaincactus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, and their e-mail is: Intermtcactus@xmission.com. I don't see any offered in the flyer they sent this year, but they may still have some lying around. Very fast, personal service.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

And today the first bud on the Echinocereus viridiflorus opened.
DSC06249.JPG
DSC06249.JPG (87.47 KiB) Viewed 2996 times
I also noticed some enlarged fuzz on several of my other Echinocereus, indicating buds will develop on those as well. Many are types of reichenbachii.