Propagating via stem cutting

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
sucti2016

Propagating via stem cutting

Post by sucti2016 »

I have a crassula perforata variegata I'd like to propagate by cutting the stem. Does it matter if I cut after watering when it's nice and plump or should I wait till later? I cannot find any info online in reference to that.
On the side note, I have the three little plants for 3 months and it's only started to do well 2 weeks ago. I'd like to multiple it by cutting stems off one plant. Should I cut on older stem(brown) or young ones(green)?
esp_imaging

Re: Propagating via stem cutting

Post by esp_imaging »

It's pretty easy to propagate by cuttings, so I dont think it matters too much!
If it's only started doing well recently, why not let it grow a bit more before taking cuttings? Or even until next spring?
Larger cuttings are easier to get established.

If you look carefully, you can often see roots forming on stems that are still attached. These can be especially easy to get established as cuttings.

Give the cut stems a few days to dry out before planting them. The compost needs to be fairly dry, the bases of the cuttings are more likley to rot if they are wet.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
sucti2016

Re: Propagating via stem cutting

Post by sucti2016 »

Thanks so much for the reply! All three plants are sorta branching. They came that way. I love it! But I'd like to create one or few that just grows straight like it should and fall over/hanging. Just thinking that I didn't want them to get leggy during the winter indoors. Lol. That's why I wanted to do it now while we're still getting the warmth of the sun.