Self fertile cacti

Create seed of your own
Franj

Self fertile cacti

Post by Franj »

Hello all :D

I have read that Ortegocacti are self fertile. I'm assuming this means that if a single plant has more than one flower open you can cross pollinate them. Does anyone know what other cacti are self fertile? I have Mammillarias, Parodias, Eriosyce and even an Echinopsis blooming like crazy in my greenhouse right now and would like to get some seed. Unfortunately I don't have two of everything and even then they don't always flower at the same time.

Thanks,
Franj
DieTer-Xz

Post by DieTer-Xz »

Yes, you're right.
Look here: http://lapsyserre.free.fr/psy_liste/SPSY2K4.doc
It's a very large list where you can see if a certain species is self-fertile (and various other information), thanks to Miguel!
But, as you can see on the list, Ortegocactus is not self-fertile (probably because it is sort of a form between Coryphanta and Mammillaria, and most of these are self-sterile).
Franj

Post by Franj »

Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for. I wish I could remember where I read that about Ortegocactus. I would like to inform them they are wrong. No matter.

Thank you very much, :D
Franj
XP_2600

Re: Self fertile cacti

Post by XP_2600 »

I just reached this file days ago, is S and F stand for sterile and fertile?
XP_2600
teo

Post by teo »

This is (an old) seed list from ADBLPS - look here for current: http://www.adblps-graines-cactus.com/index_EN.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

XP_2600 wrote:I just reached this file days ago, is S and F stand for sterile and fertile?
Yes, S means self-sterile, and F means self-fertile.
I personally don't agree with all species indicated with this, but the majority should probably be right.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

If a species is self-fertile, you don't even need 2 flowers. Some will self-pollinate without any assistance, others need something to transfer pollen from the anthers to the stigma. For instance, My Echinopsis ancistrophora always sets seed when it blooms outdoors, even if only one flower opens at a time, because hover flies visit it. Times when I brought it indoors to bloom, it didn't pollinate (and the flowers lasted longer).
Spence :mrgreen:
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Can anyone tell meif all Massonia species are self-fertile? Or just a few (at least Massonia pustulata [M. longipes]). Any other species, like M. bifolia?
7george

Post by 7george »

Franj wrote:Hello all :D

I have read that Ortegocacti are self fertile. I'm assuming this means that if a single plant has more than one flower open you can cross pollinate them. Does anyone know what other cacti are self fertile? I have Mammillarias, Parodias, Eriosyce and even an Echinopsis blooming like crazy in my greenhouse right now and would like to get some seed. Unfortunately I don't have two of everything and even then they don't always flower at the same time.

Thanks,
Franj
The bigger part of cacti species are self-sterile. If you want to have your own seeds consider this when you build your collection. Buy or leave at least 2 - 3 specimens of each kind you like. And not just clonings or plants originating from cuttings, but coming from different seeds. Even seeds from one and the same fruit have little difference of their genotype and and such plants can pollinate each other.

Even in case of different origin of plants been pollinated fruits do not appear every time. Here is the importance of some factors like ambient temperature and humidity, age and condition of the plant etc. Professionals making their living on seed production know more about this. Maybe we should discuss this in special topic.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8