Stenocereus marginatus ailment

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
ElieEstephane

Stenocereus marginatus ailment

Post by ElieEstephane »

Black spots are appearing on my cactus. The spots are not soft and some have been there for a couple of months. The first large spot occured on the location of a sunburn.
From what i've read on other threads it's probably viral or bacterial right? To cut or not cut?
Should it be quarantined from other stenocereus marginatus plants if not all other cacti?
Thank you in advance!
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
hegar

Re: Stenocereus marginatus ailment

Post by hegar »

I cannot say what is causing those blemishes. I doubt, that it is any kind of rot organism. If this were my plant, I would not cut off the discolored spots, but keep an eye on them, in case there are observable changes.
I also do not feel, that you need to quarantine your plant. I hope, that other forum members will chime in and give you additional information that is useful to you.

Harald
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

hegar wrote:I cannot say what is causing those blemishes. I doubt, that it is any kind of rot organism. If this were my plant, I would not cut off the discolored spots, but keep an eye on them, in case there are observable changes.
I also do not feel, that you need to quarantine your plant. I hope, that other forum members will chime in and give you additional information that is useful to you.

Harald
Thanks hegar!
I did quarantine the plant even though it might not spread. But why not :lol:
I marked the spots with a marker and im gonna see if they grow. If not it's getting its place back in the collection.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

These spots don't have a distinct margin like you'd expect a patch of rot to have, I agree with hegar.
Spence :mrgreen:
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

greenknight wrote:These spots don't have a distinct margin like you'd expect a patch of rot to have, I agree with hegar.
I know it's not rot. Im just trying to pinpoint the problem since it keeps appearing on the new growth and maybe try to stop it in o4der to conserve the aesthetics of the plant.
Thanks though!
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Well after a bit of neglection i came to look at the plant and most of it had turned to black. It's not rot though. It's very very firm! I cut away as much as i can but i fear it's a goner.