insect on ariocarpus wool..termite?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
tudedude

insect on ariocarpus wool..termite?

Post by tudedude »

I have what looks like a bunch of tiny termite looking critters roaming around the wool of an ariocapus. At first I thought they were thrips but upon closer inspection with a magnifying glass they look termites. Anyone know what there are? Sorry I don't have a macro lens so I can't take a pic.
CactusBoss

Re: insect on ariocarpus wool..termite?

Post by CactusBoss »

It might be scale? Idk though without a pic.
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a
tudedude

Post by tudedude »

Definitely not scale or the usual suspects. Looks like microscopic termites. I think they where munching on the wool. Not sure,I didn't see any damage to the plant and they've been on that thing for weeks. I just dunked the whole cactus in insecticidal soaps. More paranoid for my house than the ariocarpus.
CactusBoss

Post by CactusBoss »

tudedude wrote:Definitely not scale or the usual suspects. Looks like microscopic termites. I think they where munching on the wool. Not sure,I didn't see any damage to the plant and they've been on that thing for weeks. I just dunked the whole cactus in insecticidal soaps. More paranoid for my house than the ariocarpus.
I've never heard of termites on cacti. I think they prefer wood not cacti!
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a
tudedude

Post by tudedude »

yeah, I think they're too small to be termites. They're maybe a millimeter long, but kind of resemble their body shape.
CactusBoss

Post by CactusBoss »

I'd go look under Pests & Diseases and see what to do about scale insects cause that's what I think they are. Does the cactus have any sort of scarring on it? They could also be mealy bugs but I can't tell without a picture. Sorry. It may not be anything major either idk
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a
Lisa.nick

Post by Lisa.nick »

Hi all! Sorry if this is hitting on an older post, but I have termites in my raised bed.

Last year my roommates and I built a very cheap raised bed with some treated and some untreated. I was weeding and hand tilling the soil the other day and I noticed termites in the untreated wood. I was very much concerned and was going through some of the sites like http://www.pestremovalguide.com/termite-infestation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , http://citybugs.tamu.edu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to get an solution to the termite menace.

I'm wondering how concerned I should be about my vegetables (assortment of tomatoes, peppers, and squash) I am about to plant in that bed. I've been getting a bit overwhelmed with all the info out there, some saying not to worry about them attacking plants others saying termites eating only dead cellulose it a common misnomer.

Also, any safe/organic ways to kill these buggers? I've read some mixed reviews on borax.

Thank you for any insight!

Regards
Lisa..
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Miight be springtails I get them on my cacti a lot. Here is the best picture I could get, the keep moving.
Attachments
20141122_105545.jpg
20141122_105545.jpg (60.77 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
hegar

Post by hegar »

I also thought, that you could be dealing with spring tails, insect family Collembola. These are pale grey very small insects, that mostly just feed on decaying organic matter. There are a few plant feeders among them too, but I have yet to encounter any of those.
The other kind of spring tails are pretty common in soil.

Harald