Flat mites on the attack...

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Steve Johnson

Flat mites on the attack...

Post by Steve Johnson »

...And this time I was prepared for 'em! I had my first encounter with flat mites in June, although it took awhile to identify the source of some problems I was getting suspicious about. That experience came in handy, when my weekend cactus inspection detected the familiar look of suspicion on a Sulcorebutia rauschii this morning. Although flat mite damage is easily detected with the unaided eye, it requires a 10X magnifier to confirm the presence of those teeny tiny nasties. I received that confirmation, so here are a couple of photos to show you what was going on. First, here's the damage:

The mites were definitely mobile, as I could see them crawling (and I mean crawling) all over the place:

I shot this right before I brought the rauschii inside for a thorough Isopropyl alcohol spraying. It came back outside earlier tonight, so that gave me the opportunity for preventative IPA spray on other cacti in case there could be mites evading detection. Some are the same plants that were attacked in June, while others which have been in the collection for 6 months or less have a known vulnerability to flat mites based on reports by more experienced growers. In the case of my rauschii, I didn't see any signs of damage before today, so the mites must've started up only in the last few days. Such being the case, I caught the infestation in its earliest stage -- and my vigilance is paying off.

Typically, flat mites thrive in a temperature range of 77–86F with high relative humidity. While these conditions haven't been met over the last few weeks, my latest experience is telling me that the pest can still exploit cacti when they're not in growth -- i.e. winter dormancy. Since my winter has been unusually warm up until now, perhaps a cool-down to more seasonal temps this week will be enough to keep further mite attacks from happening. However, I can't afford to be complacent. I'll keep a close eye on the situation, and I won't hesitate to reach for the IPA if the rest of winter warms up again.

No one enjoys going through mite attacks, but "vigilance" is a good watchword to remember. If I practice what I preach, I won't be scared about the possibility of pest mites anymore.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
iann

Re: Flat mites on the attack...

Post by iann »

These mites didn't start up in the last few days. Maybe the last few weeks. It takes more than one spray to get rid of them from a plant. Even assuming you hit all the adults with the spray, the breeding cycle is several weeks so you'll need to spray several times at that sort of interval. Even smaller than the mites are the eggs, easily visible in a 10x lens and a slightly brighter orange than the mites themselves. If you see any of those then you'll definitely have to spray repeatedly. Multiple mites like you have will almost certainly have laid eggs, they just seem to drop them randomly as they wander about.
--ian
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

iann wrote:These mites didn't start up in the last few days. Maybe the last few weeks. It takes more than one spray to get rid of them from a plant. Even assuming you hit all the adults with the spray, the breeding cycle is several weeks so you'll need to spray several times at that sort of interval. Even smaller than the mites are the eggs, easily visible in a 10x lens and a slightly brighter orange than the mites themselves. If you see any of those then you'll definitely have to spray repeatedly. Multiple mites like you have will almost certainly have laid eggs, they just seem to drop them randomly as they wander about.
I'll take your hint, then -- IPA spray every 2 weeks regardless of the weather situation lurking in my forecast beyond the next 7 days. Good news is that even if the trend is toward seasonably cold weather in February, my version of "cold" in L.A. isn't even close to what most of the US is still experiencing. If I keep spraying through the end of March, do you think that would be sufficient to break the cycle of infestation, or should I continue into April just to be safe? Seems that IPA is my best friend here, so I'll do whatever it takes to keep these cacti of mine mite-free as much as I possibly can.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
iann

Post by iann »

I'm not sure you'll ever completely get rid of these pests. Mites just seem to keep coming back.
--ian
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

iann wrote:I'm not sure you'll ever completely get rid of these pests. Mites just seem to keep coming back.
Yeah, I figured a close-up introduction to mites would be inevitable. Since I'm in this for the long haul, it'll be up to how constant I am re. my penchant for weekend hovering on the plant bench. I wonder how much longer before I see the other kind of pest mite show up...
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

I have three questions here that I'm hoping someone (Iann?) may know the answers to.

Do we have these mites in the UK?

Does Imidacloprid kill them?

Is methylated spirits the same as isopropyl alcohol?

TIA

Steve
teo

Post by teo »

These mites follow potted plants all over the world greenhouses, so - Yes
No, sorry to say
Don't think so but it may serve the same purpose (although I believe it is more poisonous if you drink it or at least you will go blind if you do)
iann

Post by iann »

I think this type of mite is more widespread than even very experienced growers realise. Partly this is because they are essentially invisible to the naked eye. They may also a be a more recent pest of cacti than spider mites. Although I have seen spider mites in my greenhouse on other plants I have never seen them on globular cacti, and I always treat complaints of "spider mite" infestations with a pinch of salt since so many of them turn out not to be spider mites at all. I have seen spider mites on columnar cacti (Eulychnia) and opuntioids (Tephrocactus), and they adore certain mesembs (luckily not Lithops).

Imidacloprid is somewhat toxic to mites, but not labelled for control of them. This is because it isn't toxic enough to be effective at killing them, because it increases the rate of breeding of mites, and because it is highly toxic to many natural mite predators. In an open environment, use of neonicotinoids commonly leads to mite population explosions. In a greenhouse cactus collection it is more likely just to do nothing.

Isoproyl alcohol is not the same as methylated spirits although they are similar. Methylated spirits is a mixture of ethanol and other alcohols, typically methanol. Isopropyl alcohol is 2-propanol, which is methanol with two hydrogens replaced by methyl groups. Isopropyl alcohol is toxic but not as toxic as methanol. You can use any of these to kill mites, but isopropyl alcohol is widely and very cheaply available in the US as rubbing alcohol. Rubbing alcohol in the UK also includes ethanol. Isopropyl alcohol is available in the UK as a cleaning product, typically for electronics work. Due to differences in volatility and concentration of different products, test out carefully "on an inconspicuous area" ;)
--ian
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

iann wrote:I think this type of mite is more widespread than even very experienced growers realise. Partly this is because they are essentially invisible to the naked eye. They may also a be a more recent pest of cacti than spider mites.
What you're saying is quite apropos to this discussion, so here's a blast from the recent past...

The skin of my rauschii got rather badly beaten up over the winter of 2011/12. I had no idea why it happened, although when I posted up photos throughout 2012, a few of them elicited comments from you about the possibility that mite attacks were at least part of the problem. I didn't see how it was possible, but I assumed that you were talking about red spider mites -- which I would've seen. However, I didn't know flat mites even existed back then. Since I can "connect the dots" between detection under a magnifier and the damage they leave, I now suspect that my first run-in with flat mites took place not last year, but actually much earlier. If growers aren't generally running around with 10X magnifiers, they're at a serious disadvantage when their cacti end up with "mystery" damage that should be more thoroughly investigated if they knew what to look for. I don't think it's an experience that growers in the desert have to deal with, but certainly worth an advisory to those living in climates more conducive to flat mite problems.

By the way, I'm still questing after trying to find a systemic miticide available for home use in California. I've been running only into brick walls, so I'm wondering if such a thing is even possible. Unless and until someone in this state can recommend a product which is effective on flat mites, I'll have to keep up on vigilant IPA spraying for the foreseeable future. Kinda sucks (literally), although I'm in this for the long haul.
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Onzuka wrote:Do we have these mites in the UK?
Does Imidacloprid kill them?
Is methylated spirits the same as isopropyl alcohol?
Yes.
Not really.
Not chemically, but the effects on pests are essentially the same.

I was in Poundworld today and I had a look at some fly/wasp spray they were selling, since they're meant to be decent for spot treatments. Active ingredients were tetramethrin and deltamethrin (and a few others). I think it should be active against mites, so it might be worth stocking a can or two. It's certainly cheaper than the provado aerosol I've been using! I think some people use ant powder against mites too. I've heard 'bug bombs' used to fumigate rooms can work for mites too. Not sure if they'd be safe in a GH, but perhaps worth a try. I used a bug bomb to get rid of red mites from my lizard's vivarium a while back and it took care of them nicely. :)

Rosemary oil is supposed to be a natural repellant.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
nelsonpitter
Location: 307 Sahayog Nagar,Nari Road, Behind Powergrid Office,Nagpur Maharashtra India. 440026

Post by nelsonpitter »

Flat mites can survive in more hot environment and can eat cactus plant very fast. Remedy: Bring some wood ash and poured on the plants. Do it for at least two weeks. It will stop mites infestation. My bee removal sacramento team use this trick for bugs as well as for beetles.
Last edited by nelsonpitter on Fri May 23, 2014 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nelson Pitter
A. Dean Stock

Post by A. Dean Stock »

Orchid growers found the solution to mite problems decades ago and there are products that are easy, safe and effective to use on cactus as well. Try Tetrasan at 1/4 tsp/ gal as a spray and you should get rid of them. A second spray may be required during the season, but since Tetrasan is a powerful ovacide you generally will not get resistance or have a second population develop after the initial spraying due to hatching eggs. I'm not sure that Tetrasan is labeled for cacti but I've used it on several genera and have not seen any problems. Tetrasan is also one of the least toxic products for humans (mammals in general) for use in the greenhouse. I know the product is available in the U.S. but I don't know about E.U. I got mine from Hummert International.
Dean
Albert Dean Stock,Ph.D.