Newbie cactus grower kills cactus! (Well...not quite)

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
cjwynne

Newbie cactus grower kills cactus! (Well...not quite)

Post by cjwynne »

Greetings

I purchased my first ever cactus a fortnight ago.

I bought it looking very healthy and placed it in a bright and warm part of my apartment (but not in direct sunlight).

Unfortunately, 2 weeks have passed and the cactus now looks like this and have idea to rectify the issue. The yellow 'stem' is soft and watery hence the slouching you see at the top.

My girlfriend did water it slightly without me knowing when we first bought it and I fear that may have been the cause.

I really don't want the first cactus I've bought to die. Can anyone help rescue it?!

Thanks in advance
C Wynne
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (35.38 KiB) Viewed 538 times
adetheproducer

Re: Newbie cactus grower kills cactus! (Well...not quite)

Post by adetheproducer »

Thats rot, the bottom graft stock is dead. You will want to cut the top off with a sharp blade so you get a clean slice. Cut where they joint first then gradually in single slices like cutting cucumber so you remove any brown looking matter. Once all the brown rotten stuff is gone put it somewhere light and airy and let it dry out, it should form a callus like a scab. Once that scab is formed get a pot and fill with 80% grit, 15% corse sand and 5% potting compost mixed it all in so it has an even consistency. Make sure the soil mix is dry and place the cactus so the scab is all directly in contact with the soil. Leave in a warm bright place not in direct light and wait, a long time. It will set out roots but try to avoid disturbing it too much. When you see the first root tips pocking out wsit a few more days maybe a week and then give a very light misting to the soil around the cactus. Then wait until completely dry and mist again. Keep repeating and the roots will grow. You will feel it grip the soil the more the roots grown. Then when autum comes stop watering. Wait until spring and when its sunny start giving it more direct light and water only when soil is dry and weather is sunny and warm. It hopefully will be fine.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
CactusFanDan

Re: Newbie cactus grower kills cactus! (Well...not quite)

Post by CactusFanDan »

Not necessarily rot, but the bottom part is well and truly dead. The top part is probably salvageable. Follow what Ade said, but you don't have to mist the soil to get it to root if you don't want to. Just put it somewhere sheltered, warm and sunny and forget about it for 12 months. :wink: It should root fairly easily.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog