Mongrel snails!

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
SnowFella

Mongrel snails!

Post by SnowFella »

Having had a reasonably dry summer I haven't really had much problem this year but now as we have started getting some autumn rains the slimy little suckers have gone rampant in the outdoors beds!

Poor little Echinopsis cluster, not a single head spared. :idea:

E. pachanoi, must be happy snails after that dinner snack :-k

Same plant but on the main stem, climbed a 7 foot stem just to take some bites out of the new growth.

Poor little Lobivia got the same treatment.

Time to put down some bait and head out past sunset with a torch me thinks.
Saxicola

Re: Mongrel snails!

Post by Saxicola »

Get some Deadline, or whatever brand it is called there (the grey liquid stuff). Draw a complete circle around your plants with it and say goodbye to the snails! It should work for a month or more before having to reapply. The only caution is to keep your pets away from it until it dries. When wet (which is just a few hours) some adventurous dogs have been known to taste it.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Don't think we have something along the lines of that down here so I put down some pellet baits, got no pets to worry about so it ought to be safe.
Though don't think the baits are there any longer after last nights thunderstorm, been a while since I saw it rain like that! Local reports speaks of 80+mm (over3 inches) in 20 minutes combined with some decent hail.
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

For living in a snail hotspot, I've never actually had any snail damage on any of my plants (although I've probably jinxed myself by saying that). :P Maybe my hard-grown plants are more resilient to snails! Although I'm growing more african bulbs now, which will certainly be susceptible to snails.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog