Moon Cactus turning colors PLZ HELP

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
flamekitty84

Moon Cactus turning colors PLZ HELP

Post by flamekitty84 »

hello ive had my Moon Cactus for about 3 years now and shes been in this condition for closer to a year now. Its just the top red part thats getting wierd and turning yellow. The base seems perfectly normal and healthy.
im wondering what is going on and what can be done to save her now that the growing period has begun.
im wondering if just repotting her in a new same-size pot with fresh cactus soil will do her any good.
ive also considered cutting the top off altogether and maybe grafting one of the healthy smaller pieces to the top. in the pic I attached, it would be the one on the left.
I have no experience in doing any of that tho and I have no idea if it would work or be worth it at all.
any input or help would be appreciated
thank you!
Amanda

EDIT: sorry the photo is sideways...I uploaded from my phone and idk what happened...
the ball I would be using for grafting is the most visible one
Attachments
20140409_104017.jpg
20140409_104017.jpg (54.55 KiB) Viewed 6211 times
adetheproducer

Re: Moon Cactus turning colors PLZ HELP

Post by adetheproducer »

Does not look great, might be corking possibly stress induced. I Would be tempted to remove the pups and re-grft them so at least if it does all go wrong you have not lost the entire plant. There are very good details regarding grfting in the grfting section of the forum.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

I'm impressed that you kept it alive for three years. For various reasons that is one of the more difficult cacti to keep alive (yet, unfortunately, the most popular one with beginners). When this first happened did you by any chance move it into full sun? That kind of looks like sunburn. Since it has been a year and the new growth on the top of the plant looks fine you could just keep it as is. If it really bothers you then you can try grafting one of the pups instead. Just know that anything removed from the graft and not put onto new grafting stock will die because the plant lacks chlorophyll so it cannot feed itself.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
flamekitty84

Post by flamekitty84 »

the cactus has actually never been in full sun :(
so if I decide to graft it, can I take one of the 'pups' and put it on this same stock? or do I need to get a new stock to put it on?? Im not rly sure how any of this works hahaha
thank you both tho for taking the time to respond and help me out!!
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

I detest "moon cactus" and don't see any point or beauty in them. That of course is my own opinion. I'd remove the coloured top, throw it in the trash and wait until the stock, which appears to be Hylocereus, begins to grow new offsets. I'd then derive pleasure from seeing the stock thrive.

Steve
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

flamekitty84 wrote:the cactus has actually never been in full sun :(
so if I decide to graft it, can I take one of the 'pups' and put it on this same stock? or do I need to get a new stock to put it on?? Im not rly sure how any of this works hahaha
Yes use thin smooth blade to cut where they join. then remove pup and stick it back down where the old one was cut away. Like I said earlier have a good read through the grafting section, lots of pictures to give clear idea what to do.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

adetheproducer wrote:
flamekitty84 wrote:the cactus has actually never been in full sun :(
Yes use thin smooth blade to cut where they join. then remove pup and stick it back down where the old one was cut away. Like I said earlier have a good read through the grafting section, lots of pictures to give clear idea what to do.

I just want to add that you need to be very quick between when you make the cuts and when you stick them together. If the exposed surfaces begin to dry out at all the graft won't take.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
coldcactusmontreal

Post by coldcactusmontreal »

Why is the neck buried? You should have the graft stock more visible to get more light.
flamekitty84

Post by flamekitty84 »

coldcactusmontreal wrote:Why is the neck buried? You should have the graft stock more visible to get more light.
it is totally not buried. I took this pic from above to get the best view of the actual problem.
I assure you, it is getting plenty of light...