Straw flower removal tips

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
CrazyPlantLady

Straw flower removal tips

Post by CrazyPlantLady »

I was recently at Lowes for some household supplies, when I spotted this charming little Mammilaria microhelia in the garden center, but the poor thing was suffering from a bad case of Straw Flower disease. I've heard it's curable, any tips or ideas for a cure? My poor plant is so sad with that gaudy flower stuck to it.
It doesn't suck to succulent!
majcka

Re: Straw flower removal tips

Post by majcka »

CrazyPlantLady wrote:I was recently at Lowes for some household supplies, when I spotted this charming little Mammilaria microhelia in the garden center, but the poor thing was suffering from a bad case of Straw Flower disease. I've heard it's curable, any tips or ideas for a cure? My poor plant is so sad with that gaudy flower stuck to it.
Depends on whether it is pin on or glued;

If pined - you just take it of.

If glued, you carefully cut it of with scissors or a really sharp knife. Than remove as much glue as you possibly can. Everything alse the plant will do itself.

Happy rescue.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

sundanz

Post by sundanz »

I carry tweezers in my purse to see if I can pluck off the flowers easily without harming the cactus. If they are glued on too tight the skin of the cactus comes off when the flower is removed no matter how careful you are. The spines come off too and they will not regrow! You will have a blemished cactus for sure. Sometimes the glued flower just sits on the spines and it can be cut off with a scissor but a few spines will get a haircut as well!
I wish this barbaric custom will stop! But as long as people admire this stupid little flower instead of the beautiful plant underneath the trend will continue!
Karin
Life's a Cactus in the Great State of Texas!!!
Tom Roach

Post by Tom Roach »

It is just ironic, I guess I'll need to put on a couple pairs of readers and go at it with scissors.

Will post a picture or two when the real blooms are opened.
IMG_0283.JPG
IMG_0283.JPG (35.14 KiB) Viewed 812 times