Systemic and a sorry portulacaria afra.

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Dreamer19

Systemic and a sorry portulacaria afra.

Post by Dreamer19 »

I recently posted about this plant. But since then I have a much clearer idea of what is actually wrong. I'd been suspicious that this plant was suffering from pests, but I assumed scale because of numerous brown markings on the leaves. A couple of days ago I discovered the real cause: mealy bugs.

I had checked it over hundreds of times and noticed nothing, then all of a sudden bam! I removed five bugs from it over two days. There was however, no telltale white deposits to tip me off which is why I never suspected this pest. The leaf drop I put down to poor conditions in the shop where it was bought from. I immediately sprayed it with a soap and water spray, which the leaves did not like and only exacerbated their dropping. Finally I got hold of some Systemic and applied it. My plant is in a pretty sorry state right now:
image.jpg
image.jpg (68.51 KiB) Viewed 1785 times
The leaf loss is mainly due to the soap. I've checked my plant over every day and found no further sign of the bugs, I intended to give it another dose after the appropriate amount of days, I know just because I can't see them doesn't mean they are not there. So my questions are: How long do I have to apply the systemic for? When will I know if it has worked or not?

My plant is still quarantined away from all the others which I am keeping my eye on, but don't show any warning signs. Despite its sorry appearance I'm still optimistic about this plant's recovery because it's in active growth and every branch is showing signs of new prospective leaves. The amount of difficulty it has gave me makes me even more determined to rescue it! :x Thanks in advance for any advice :) I hope to be able post a picture in a few weeks time of this plant looking much better.
Steve Johnson

Re: Systemic and a sorry portulacaria afra.

Post by Steve Johnson »

Dreamer19 wrote:I recently posted about this plant. But since then I have a much clearer idea of what is actually wrong. I'd been suspicious that this plant was suffering from pests, but I assumed scale because of numerous brown markings on the leaves. A couple of days ago I discovered the real cause: mealy bugs.

I had checked it over hundreds of times and noticed nothing, then all of a sudden bam! I removed five bugs from it over two days. There was however, no telltale white deposits to tip me off which is why I never suspected this pest. The leaf drop I put down to poor conditions in the shop where it was bought from. I immediately sprayed it with a soap and water spray, which the leaves did not like and only exacerbated their dropping. Finally I got hold of some Systemic and applied it.

The leaf loss is mainly due to the soap. I've checked my plant over every day and found no further sign of the bugs, I intended to give it another dose after the appropriate amount of days, I know just because I can't see them doesn't mean they are not there. So my questions are: How long do I have to apply the systemic for? When will I know if it has worked or not?
The standard remedy for any type of scale insect (including mealies) is something with Imidacloprid or one of the other cloprids (I believe it would be Thiacloprid in the UK and Australia). To make sure we're talking apples-to-apples here, "systemic" means a deep soaking of the soil so that the active ingredient is taken up through the roots, thus making the plant's juices toxic to the offending pest insect. If your Portulacaria is in growth, one systemic application should be good for up to 6 months. However, be aware of the fact that systemics take awhile to kick in -- if you still see mealies over the next month or so, just pick them off. If you live in the US, Bayer Advanced 3-in-1 spray is also a great product for succulents. Once the systemic starts doing its thing, it's gratifying to see dead, dried up mealies falling off when you take a toothpick to them.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
BarryRice

Post by BarryRice »

Hey Steve

A minor modification to your comment... Systemic pesticides are not necessarily absorbed only through the roots, via a soil drench. If the pesticide formulation allows for the pesticide to be absorbed through the plant's cuticle, a foliar application is all that is needed.
I'll grow it as long as it doesn't have glochids. Gaudy flowers a plus.
Dreamer19

Post by Dreamer19 »

SO sorry for the really late reply! The pesticide I have is Bayer's Provado Ultimate Bug Killer Concentrate. It contains 9g/l thiacloprid as you mentioned. The instructions are to mix it with water and spray onto the plant, but it does specify that it's a systemic. I've kept an eye on my plant and seen nothing since. It's still isolated for caution, but it's starting to look a little better :) It's slowly getting back a new set of leaves, which I'm relieved about.

In total - and before the application - I pulled five mealies off. I'm hoping that this was only a minor infestation that I've managed to head off before too much damage? Keeping my fingers crossed.

Still not the prettiest plant, but it's progress:
image.jpg
image.jpg (124.01 KiB) Viewed 1694 times
Outside enjoying a little late afternoon sun :)

I've regularly checked my other plants and seen no evidence of mealies, but I was wondering if I should give them a preventative dose of pesticide, or just leave them alone while everything is alright? Don't starting making problems where there are none :,)

Thank you both for your guidance.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

I have had extremely good luck with some stuff called "Garden Safe Insecticidal Soap - Insect Killer"

I have used it to kill scale, mealy bugs and ants (they drop dead in seconds).

I purchased a Fockea crispa that arrived with a spider infestation in the foliage with dirt from shipping freely accumulated. Two applications and NO MORE SPIDERS!

I have some 20x watch repair spectacles and noticed what I believed to be scale (from pictures I had seen) around the areoles of a "Mexican Fencepost", and I used this stuff on it. I was able to brush them off with a medium stiff paintbrush the next day. I concede the possibillity that the grower noticed the scale and applied a systemic before he shipped it to me, but I believe it was the soap I applied.

If ANYONE has any negative remarks about this stuff, I would truly appreciate a comment.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
Dreamer19

Post by Dreamer19 »

I would like to thank you all for your advice, but as of today this plant is no longer in my collection :(

The most annoying thing is that it was getting better! It had almost grown all it's leaves back and any signs of infestation were a distant memory, I was just beginning to congratulate myself. Then it started dropping leaves again, but the leaves were soggy :l one whole trunk just began to shrivel from the tip to the soil, and other apparently healthy branches started coming away from the main stems and fell off completely whole at one touch. Rather than risk any damage to the rest of my collection this plant was disposed of. Sadly.

But does any one have any idea what might have caused this? It wasn't overwatered, it wasn't under watered and it was fed regularly. It had good indirect light, nothing too strong to for its still delicate condition. I did everything I could and to the best of my ability to try and save this plant. What did I do wrong?
iann

Post by iann »

Bayer Ultimate Bug Killer is systemic. It is labelled only as a spray, but is also effective if watered in. Plants with lots of leaves respond well to being sprayed, but no leaves and it may be better to water instead. Use the label dilution and water normally.

The symptoms you describe sure sound like overwatering, although this is a relatively thirsty plant when it is growing. Perhaps not warm enough for it to be really active?
--ian