Newbie in need of help...please :)

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
anttas

Newbie in need of help...please :)

Post by anttas »

I recently acquired my first cactus and I have a few questions for the experts (please refer to pics)...
1. There is a split at the top of the cactus the runs about 2/3 around the width of the stem...although it seems to be continuing to grow, is there anything I can do to help it along?
2. There seems to be what looks like some kind of pest damage around the trunk...if so what could it be and how might I treat it?
3. What kind of cactus is our Cyril???

I would really appreciate any kind of help with the above questions as I have become a bit lost with all of the research i have already done.

Kind regards
Attachments
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (114.95 KiB) Viewed 821 times
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (130.56 KiB) Viewed 821 times
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (113.44 KiB) Viewed 821 times
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Re: Newbie in need of help...please :)

Post by WayneByerly »

The split I believe is from over watering. Watering your cactus is like ... well, It's like feeding your dog ... your dog will eat until he pukes ... he just doesn't know any better. Succulents store water in their bodies and tap roots in preparation for "DRY" days ... Its the way they disallowed - see forum rules. If it takes up too much water, it will pop ... split ... and that APPEARS as though what has happened here.

I am unsure about what's going on around the base, so I won't say anything about that at all. I'll let someone MUCH MORE knowledgeable than I address that.

You want to water often enough to keep the little hair fine roots, the ones responsible for soaking up water, from drying up and dying, so the plant does not have to grow more the next time it gets wet. But neither do you want to feed your dog so much that he makes a disgusting mess on the kitchen floor. Try watering more often with less water for a little while. And keep the outside of the cactus DRY to avoid fungal infections or insect infestations.

If there is ANYONE who disagrees with ANYTHING I've said in this posting, someone who KNOWS better, I would greatly appreciate correction so that I don't give anyone else bad information. You may send me a private message or send direct to my email at p.wayne.byerly@gmail.com
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

The browning and hardening at the base looks like its age/maturity related corking. Its quite normal where by the green is replaced by what is baiscaly bark like a tree. Keep and eye on further replies just incase I am worng ant it is somnething a little more serious. The split does look like either physical damage or as WanyeByerly said could be due to over watering. Just dry it out well bewteen watersing and maybe wait for the stem to contract a bit before watering each time, that way you know the plant is thirsty a sdit physically contracts inwards a little.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
anttas

Post by anttas »

Thank you both for the replies. I am pretty sure that the previous owner mentioned the split was due to physical damage, sorry I should have said that in my post. However, I have been doing the completely wrong thing by spraying water on it...ignorantly thinking this might help. I appreciate you both taking the time to reply. Cheers Anthony.
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Yeah stop straying it let that cut dry out too, it will look a bit horrific but should scab over and go brown like the lower parts. Just keep and eye out for soft squishy texture starting around the split. It should be ok.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

That split to me looks more like mechanical damage from bumping into something rather than over watering. I've got what I believe to be the same variety, monstrose cereus of some sort, growing outdoors in a pot and when it started splitting from heavy rains it was always vertically in the rib valleys, especially where corking had set in from old age.