Deleted

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Deleted

Post by WayneByerly »

Moot point now ... cactus succumbed to Slime-ifi-cation ... probably water.
Attachments
DSCF3447.jpg
DSCF3447.jpg (87.08 KiB) Viewed 485 times
Last edited by WayneByerly on Tue May 20, 2014 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
hegar

Re: Ferocactus fordii turning yellow

Post by hegar »

To me the discoloration - loss of chlorophyll - looks evenly distributed around the crown of the plant. Further down the cactus body seems to be a normal green. This would indicate a physiological (environmental) cause of the malaise. Could it be, that there is a light placed too close to the plant's top? If so, placing the light/heat source further away from the cactus should make it green up once again.
I have experienced sun damage with my outdoor planting, which also does bleach the cactus epidermis. One of my Fendler's Hedgehog cacti does have a young stem that looked normal earlier in the spring, but now also shows a sickly pale green. The stem next to it - of the same plant - does look healthy. I did have some wildflowers growing all over the cactus bed and removed those when they became too tall. Perhaps the young stem could not take the full sunlight after having been in the shade for some time.
I would say, that at least whatever is making your plant have a pale-green top is at least not caused by a pathogen or an insect/mite.
However, I may be wrong. Hopefully, somebody else will chime in and give her/his opinion and offer advice.

Harald
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Could it be starting variegated?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

cactushobbyman wrote:Could it be starting variegated?
That's possible. Picture of a variegated one here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/12342/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't think too much heat or light is the problem, this species comes from Baja California. Everything else would be suffering before the Ferocactus.
Spence :mrgreen: