Yellowing cactus stalks, now black firm tips; HELP!

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
troubletown

Yellowing cactus stalks, now black firm tips; HELP!

Post by troubletown »

Hey cactus experts - HELP!

My beloved cactus (planted outdoors, in sandy soil in Palm Springs California, Sonoran zone 9, watered once a week for 10 min on a drip emitter, direct sun in afternoon, in ground for 10 months) has several stalks that first turn yellow at the tip and then develop a firm black area.

We cut one stalk off, but 3 weeks later, 4 more stalks are developing the same problem.

If seems to be happening preferentially on one side of the entire plant.

Can any expert provide insight on if this is this a water, sun, fertilizer, pest, fungus problem?

Picture attached.
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (118.76 KiB) Viewed 562 times
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (177.98 KiB) Viewed 562 times
cactushobbyman

Re: Yellowing cactus stalks, now black firm tips; HELP!

Post by cactushobbyman »

Could be frost damage. I have a few outside plants that looks the same. :)
troubletown

Post by troubletown »

Good thought but it hasn't been near freezing here for a few years (which is why I bought a house here ;)
hegar

Post by hegar »

Well, this is a puzzling problem. I too am experiencing some die back at times and cannot figure out what caused them. My older Echinocereus bonkerae had the tip die. It just hardened. The plant did produce callus tissue and the problem did not spread. The plant then developed two arms near the top. Right now one of my Peniocereus greggii cacti has its only stem drying up from the top. However, further down a new side shoot that looks healthy is forming. :) I just hope, that the plant will only die back to that shoot and not continue on down. Another one of my plants, an Echinocereus fendleri produced a second stem, which at first looked healthy. Lately though it has turned very light greenish-yellow on the side, while the top is dark green.
All these problems I do attribute to environmental reasons, i.e. possible sun burn, frost damage, etc. Does your plant have the discoloration on the southwest side? Was it shaded at some point not too long ago near the point where the symptoms are appearing?
I highly doubt, that you are dealing with insect or disease damage.
When you removed the first (only?) stem, did you check below the blackened tip, if there was any indication below of perhaps the presence of a pathogen, for example a discoloration extending downward? Sometimes a cactus seems to be OK, until the inside of the stem turns into mush. Then it will start to lean heavily and collapse.
By the way, I too grow all my plants outdoors in sandy soil and also water them usually using a watering can once a week, unless we have experienced one of our rare rainfalls.

Harald
hegar

Post by hegar »

Oops, I forgot to attach an image of that E. fendleri I mentioned in the text of my last posting.
Attachments
Sick E_fendleri.jpg
Sick E_fendleri.jpg (274.31 KiB) Viewed 542 times