Not Urgent: A Quick Check for Sunburn

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Aichybatoal

Not Urgent: A Quick Check for Sunburn

Post by Aichybatoal »

I've been keeping my cacti outside in the sunlight much more often for a few weeks now, and today, I noticed a small spot of brown sort of near an ariole on my Golden Barrel. I HIGHLY suspect that it is only a bit of sun damage, and here's why: the spot was NOT on the cactus this morning when I put it outside, and it only appeared within a few hours' time. I also highly doubt that any type of pest or disease could act that quickly, or in such a small area on the plant. And my correct? Is this just a bit of sun damage?
Attachments
Darn my iPhone!  The picture's sideways!  Well, I'm sorry, but if you look around one of the arioles, you'll notice the patch of brown tissue I'm mentioning.
Darn my iPhone! The picture's sideways! Well, I'm sorry, but if you look around one of the arioles, you'll notice the patch of brown tissue I'm mentioning.
image.jpg (51.13 KiB) Viewed 371 times
Don't underestimate the Dancing Boomerang Clam.
hegar

Re: Not Urgent: A Quick Check for Sunburn

Post by hegar »

Well, I am having a tough time seeing anything that is discolored. However, I want to point out a few things.

1. Sun burn damage would affect either the whole plant or perhaps mostly one side, mostly the south-west exposure side.

2. It would also be more extensive on the new growth, because the epidermis is thinner and more vulnerable at or near the apex (top)
of the stem.

3. The plant tissue will "burn" most likely, when the plant is exposed to the heat and intensity of the sun's rays after having been in
a low light environment for a long period of time. That is, why a cactus should be gradually introduced to the full sun exposure.
You can do this by first placing the cactus into a filtered light environment and increase the light intensity over time until your plant
has adjusted to the new environment.

4. Some cacti can be placed almost immediately in full sun light, while others are more sensitive and will be damaged quickly, if they
are subjected to greatly different light conditions. Some cacti will not do well at all in overly bright light, while others will do best
under those conditions. Even some "desert cacti" will bleach out and suffer, if they are exposed fully to the midday sun.

Harald