Newby with sick cactus

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
jamesfire

Newby with sick cactus

Post by jamesfire »

Hello all,

I'm new on here and I have come to you for help. I have a very sick cactus of which I have attached pics to this post.

I was hoping one of you experts could identify what is wrong with it, what has caused this and what if anything I can do to save it!

I look forward to hearing from you

James
Attachments
20140603_214058.jpg
20140603_214058.jpg (48.76 KiB) Viewed 701 times
20140603_214047.jpg
20140603_214047.jpg (61.53 KiB) Viewed 701 times
adetheproducer

Re: Newby with sick cactus

Post by adetheproducer »

Looks like root, is it soft and squishy?
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
jamesfire

Post by jamesfire »

Hi there. Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is very soft and squishy. Is there anything I can do?
iann

Post by iann »

It's dead :( You can dissect it if you like, but there won't be anything you can save in there.

This happens occasionally to even the best of growers, but it happens a lot with rich soil, over-potting, over-watering, and too little light. And it happens very easily on lush factory-grown plants from box stores.
--ian
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Get a new one, maybe a little smaller the younger they are the more tollerant to mistakes with watering. When you buy a new one take it out of its pot and clear the peat based soil off the roots. Be gentle I use a small paint brush and take a long time so you are carefull to preserve the roots. Once cleaned put somewhere dry and shaded for a few days let the roots heal. Then repot with a much more corse soil I use mainly mineral based soil so losts of grit, stones, gravel not much actual dirt if any. The soil needs to drain quickly as a main priority only include limestone rocks in the soil mix after careful research. Once repotted dont give it a water for a week or two, then give it a good soak each time you water. You should allow the soil to dry out completely before water again. The warmer the weather the more regular you can water but in winter leave it dry, for few months the coldest times of the year thats normal treatment and good for them. Good luck with you next go of it and keep reading and talking on thus forum, the are some experts here you will be surprised the amount if knowledge these guys got. I only got hardcore back into cacti just over a year or two ago and joined here. The stuff I have learnt had been amazing.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
jamesfire

Post by jamesfire »

Wow! Thanks all for your help and support for a novice such as myself. I shall heed your advice and keep you all posted with how I get on!
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Im only a novice my self too really this is just basic stuff. one thing I really found interesting is the xerophylia magazines. Go to the books and references section and check it out its free to download and always a good read. One particular issue was very good, its called "the stone eaters" I found it to be a refreshing look at the care for cacti.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND