What's attacking my plant

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
NightBlooMer75

What's attacking my plant

Post by NightBlooMer75 »

Night blooming Cyrus
I can't figure out what is wrong with it. Any thoughts? Can you see the brown on the stem shooting up? Brown spores on the leaves. It seems to be eating my plant!!!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (48.45 KiB) Viewed 845 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (43.09 KiB) Viewed 843 times
fanaticactus

Re: What's attacking my plant

Post by fanaticactus »

From what I can see of the skinny stems, it looks like it got too much sun and maybe not enough water--but the picture isn't close enough to show detail. As for brown spores on the "leaves", if they can be taken off with a fingernail it's probably scale insect--but again, I can't see any real detail. If you're referring to the small dry irregular brown spots, it could be where they got water drops on them and burned a bit in the sun. Mine have that; it's fairly normal. Is there any sign of new growth?
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
NightBlooMer75

Post by NightBlooMer75 »

I will post better pics tomorrow. I have removed as many of the brown circles as I can find with a Q-tip and alcohol. Two days ago I repotted her and sprayed her with Bayer insecticide. I don't know what else to do !?? It's putting off tons of new growth but unfortunately almost all of my mature steams are being eaten!
Attachments
Stem in the middle
Stem in the middle
image.jpg (86.42 KiB) Viewed 831 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (40.2 KiB) Viewed 831 times
Black spots on stem
Black spots on stem
image.jpg (39.03 KiB) Viewed 831 times
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

The things you can pick off sure sound like scale. I dealt with it for quite a while, and a couple of plants I had to throw away because it kept coming back even worse. I strongly suggest unpotting it and examining the roots. Find an insecticide effective on scale. I'm not sure of any specific one right now, but I hope someone who has that knowledge will chime in here. As for the black spots, my immediate reaction is fungus. Try spraying with a fungicide.
NightBlooMer75

Post by NightBlooMer75 »

I looked at the root system and gently washed yhe roots. The roots are white and tan I didn't see anything that looked like sickness but washed the dirt off the root system and repotted in a new pot and new dirt.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

OK, that's a good start. I hope you did look very closely at the root system for any masses of scale. When they really take hold, it just looks like a grayish color all over---very hard to see individual "shells" when they're massed. The roots are probably still damp in the soil from your washing them, so withhold more water for at least a week--two is better as long as the cactus doesn't appear to be drying up. Keep us informed. Good luck. :D
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

Remember this is an Epi - I wouldn't let it go 2 weeks without water. Well drained soil, but always slightly moist. Also Epis are very sensitive to pesticides, especially alcohol based. Sue