I'm hoping just sunburn, but not sure

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
fanaticactus

I'm hoping just sunburn, but not sure

Post by fanaticactus »

This otherwise healthy Epi hybrid (I think) has been hanging outside in part sun, part shade under a pergola. We've had quite a variety of weather recently from nice, dry and comfortably warm to some 90-degree weather with three days of high humidity. Just a couple of days ago I noticed some of the fresher growth has developed some reddish brown markings. I don't see any bugs and the "leaves" are still firm. There's still a lot of new, smaller growth starting all over. It has been watered and rained on a lot in the last week. Do I need some closer photos to show more detail?
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
NightBlooMer75

Re: I'm hoping just sunburn, but not sure

Post by NightBlooMer75 »

I don't see a picture but please post if you can. I am having trouble with mine too!
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

NightBlooMer75 wrote:I don't see a picture but please post if you can. I am having trouble with mine too!
Oh, #-o to me! I guess I was so anxious to send this (and it was early morning, I think) I forgot to attach. Just as well, I took another photo today. My next post will show them.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

This time with photos! 8-[
DSC03708.JPG
DSC03708.JPG (90.07 KiB) Viewed 1224 times
DSC03717.JPG
DSC03717.JPG (29.21 KiB) Viewed 1224 times
DSC03718.JPG
DSC03718.JPG (36.74 KiB) Viewed 1224 times
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

fanaticactus wrote:This otherwise healthy Epi hybrid (I think) has been hanging outside in part sun, part shade under a pergola. We've had quite a variety of weather recently from nice, dry and comfortably warm to some 90-degree weather with three days of high humidity. Just a couple of days ago I noticed some of the fresher growth has developed some reddish brown markings. I don't see any bugs and the "leaves" are still firm. There's still a lot of new, smaller growth starting all over. It has been watered and rained on a lot in the last week. Do I need some closer photos to show more detail?
Okay, I looked at your photos, and oh man -- I think you may be dealing with a fungus problem. See this:

http://www.cactiguide.com/cactipests/#fungus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope I'm wrong, but if the diagnosis is correct, there's nothing you can do beyond what's being recommended in the link. Bayer Advanced 3-in-1 includes a fungicide, so maybe someone on the forum can tell you if it's effective enough to clear up fungal attacks.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

I was kind of afraid of that, Steve. It was fine inside the GH and all this happened after I hung it outdoors. Why did I do that? I always have in the back of my mind that cacti do better in fresh air. I guess air isn't everything. The link doesn't sound very encouraging. I do have Bayer 3-in-1, but maybe it's better if I lop off some leaves/branches (what are those called on Epis?). Some small ones broke off when I repotted it in the Spring, so I already have a mini-plant started.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Fungicides are preventative, might keep it from spreading but that's all. Pruning it off is the only way to get rid of that - but use the fungicide, too.
Spence :mrgreen:
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

greenknight wrote:Fungicides are preventative, might keep it from spreading but that's all. Pruning it off is the only way to get rid of that - but use the fungicide, too.
Good advice. Thanks!
sundanz

Post by sundanz »

Cut off the bad stuff and start over! They grow fast and you should have a healthy new plant quickly! Thanks for the fungicide top as preventative! Need to spray mine just in case! Mine is growing outside too but so far so good! Keeping fingers crossed!:-)
Karin
Life's a Cactus in the Great State of Texas!!!
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

I'm chopping mine this afternoon. Question, tho: Is the fungus in the root system too? In other words, will the remainder be OK if I remove all the visibly infected branches and spray what's left?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

It's extremely unlikely that the same fungus would also attack the roots.
Spence :mrgreen:
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

By the time I got to tend to it, many more branches/leaves were showing signs of infection. I uprooted the few seemingly "clean" sections and will replant them in a day or two. I don't want to take a chance with the rest of it, so out it goes.