Unidentified Bugs

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Unidentified Bugs

Post by WayneByerly »

I'm growing some cauduciform seeds (I know this is a cactus forum, but cauduciforms ARE succulents, so forgive my posting this here) in coir in peat pots and there are these bugs running around in them that seem not to be affected by either Insect Killing Soap --OR-- Bayer 3-in-1 with Imidipropol ... dern ... i can't remember how to spell the active ingredient to Bayer 3-in-1 and i'm all out, so i can't go to the bottle to see how to spell it. AT ANY RATE, these little guys which run from white to light brown look a bit like spiders and move around fast, so please forgive the lack of focus (it's HARD to focus this USB Microscope on a thing that runs out of the field of focus in less than 2 seconds). they are only the size of a comma on a printed piece of paper printed with a smallish font. Small and quick, white to tan.

Can anybody identify and tell me WHAT insecticide to control them (IF they NEED controlling)? Heeeeellllpppppp!!!!
1.jpg
1.jpg (290.94 KiB) Viewed 965 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (297.51 KiB) Viewed 965 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (259.63 KiB) Viewed 965 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (329.41 KiB) Viewed 965 times
fangs alot 4 ivorythang
Wayne
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
Dreamer19

Re: Unidentified Bugs

Post by Dreamer19 »

Don't quote me on this but it LOOKS like a mealybug. They're a type of sap-drinking scale insect that have the appearance of fuzzy, white wood lice. They also tend to leave behind cotton-wool like deposits (where they lay their eggs) which is often a sure tip-off that you have them. But like I say this is just my opinion.

I used Bayer Provado Ultimate Bug Killer Concentrate 2 on my own mealybug problem. It's a systemic insecticide with the active ingredient thiacloprid that you dilute with water. Within a couple of days there was no sign of the little pests. Since neither insecticide you used seemed to have any effect, it's possible that your bugs have built up a resistance. A home remedy I've read about for treating mealybugs is to dip a cotton bud in rubbing alcohol and then touch each bug individually. I've never tried tried this technique though.

Ultimately I defer to anyone who can offer you better advice. Hope you manage to sort out your bug problem and good look with your cauduciforms :)
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Not mealybugs. Mealies don't move fast, and they don't look like spiders. Mealybugs don't move at all except when they're tiny nymphs, the adults attach themselves to plants and stay put. Most plant-eating bugs don't move much - as a rule, anything that moves fast is a predator.

I'm pretty sure those are predatory mites. They don't attack your plants, they eat other mites. They're beneficial, not harmful.
Spence :mrgreen:
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Yeah they look like predatory mites, leave them be they are good at killing bad mites.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

Finally ... FINALLY ... someone responds.

Thank yoiu greenknight and adetheproducer ... i appreciate your responses greatly.

So ... if they are predatory mites, then it's probably a good think that the STRONG solutions of imidacloprid that i've been spraying these seedlings with have been ineffective.

Thanks again guys.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

You're welcome.

Imidacloprid is a systemic, only affects critters that feed on the plant. Not going to affect predator mites except by killing off their food supply.
Spence :mrgreen: