orange dots!

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
needlenose

orange dots!

Post by needlenose »

hello people of cactiguide. recently i planted a cutting and i am seeing a lot of orange dots on my cactus. i tried to google and i am leaning towards spider mites but i dont see webs. basically all i want to know is, will this kill my cactus? if so how do i solve the issue?

TexasPricklyPiglet

Re: orange dots!

Post by TexasPricklyPiglet »

There was a post about different mites the other day. A member, Steve Johnson, offered some good information. Here you go: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=33803
Image Image Image

A young Texan girl in a big cactus world.

<3 Trade with me? <3
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

TexasPricklyPiglet wrote:There was a post about different mites the other day. A member, Steve Johnson, offered some good information. Here you go: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=33803
Yep, that was moi -- good call, TPP!

Everything you wanted to know about flat mites, but were afraid to ask:

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 9&p=287283" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After I posted that thread, I've been using TetraSan spray -- safe and effective as a miticide/ovacide against all types of pest mites. Needlenose, if you live in the US, you can buy TetraSan through eBay, or you could go with Bayer Advanced 3-in-1 spray. If you live elsewhere, the only thing I can recommend is alcohol spray. Fine for the vast majority of cacti, but alcohol will disfigure the skin on some species. Hopefully you can get TetraSan or the Bayer product, because you won't have to worry about using it on anything.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Astro

Post by Astro »

Looks like scale rather than spider mites. Probably calls for a systemic insecticide rather than a contact insecticide.
globose

Post by globose »

Some of my cacti have gotten burns that look like that
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

They don't look like scale bugs, I would agree with globose my stenocereus has them too. I picked one off before and it revealed minor damage most likely caused buy puncture wounds, other customers in the shop accidently pushing spines of the neighbouring cacti when shopping. It was nice and green underneath but scabbed back over faily quickly and now looks the same. Nothing much to worry about unless they start speading or getting bigger, then you may have some kind of fungle/bacterial infection.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND