something really liked my Astrophytums.

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
RichR

something really liked my Astrophytums.

Post by RichR »

I left my greenhouse open overnight and found these Astros, or rather their remains the next morning. I don't think an insect could have done this so I'm thinking it must have been a small mammal. Any ideas?
20140728_095451.jpg
20140728_095451.jpg (101.11 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
tumamoc

Re: something really liked my Astrophytums.

Post by tumamoc »

Rodent. Squirrel or rat, probably.
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

Whatever critter that was, I don't want to meet him when he's hungry!! I have cactus/agave/sedums etc on my front steps & nothing bothers them. I saw our resident groundhog sniff the big agave & turn around. Now maybe I'll be a bit more vigilant. My condolences, Sue
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

I feel for you. Some critters recently munched up about 20 of my cacti in my small shadehouse. Some were prized possessions. After figuring a way to secure my plants, I set a havahart humane trap, and over the course of a week, I found out it was a squirrel and her six babies...and a pack rat. It's gonna be a while before I am ready to put plants back into the area.
RichR

Post by RichR »

I borrowed a small Havahart trap. I will let you know if I catch anything.
RichR

Post by RichR »

Just to follow up, I caught a mouse with the Havahart trap, but continued to have a problem with other mice. I did not catch another one, and had no success with conventional mouse traps.

What finally seems to have worked was a combination of peppermint oil / ghost pepper spray as well as ultrasonic sound blasters (from Home Depot) which emit a high-pitched sound that humans can't hear but mice can't tolerate. I placed seven of these in my greenhouse and in various other places in the gardens where cacti grow. It has been about a month and I have had no more problems with mice eating my cacti.
iann

Post by iann »

Well that's progress. Hopefully they won't come back over winter.
--ian
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

I'm so sorry for your cacti hun :( i kno you were prob heart broken too see that kinda destruction, , I'm glad you found something that's working to ensure it won't happen again. Goodluck and my condolences :(
RichR

Post by RichR »

Thanks Kittie.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Yr welcome, this year seems to have been the year for unfortunate surprises, i and the kids of my non-profit growing program had are own (titled under: Thank You...NO!) Unfortunate events recently, so i kno how it feels :(
I hope you get your collection back to what it's been and all its glory. Goodluck hun