Root tuber gone wrong

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
fanaticactus

Root tuber gone wrong

Post by fanaticactus »

Yesterday I removed an Echinocereus leucanthus (Wilcoxia albiflora) from its pot to give it fresher, looser soil (pumice) and discovered that one of the root tubers it normally grows was like a jelly-filled bladder. When squeezed lightly, a lot of relatively clear slime oozed out. I cut off the root to which it was attached and I'm letting it dry in a shady spot now. I know that root tubers are normal for this cactus, but what happened to this one? Rot? Disease? Is another one likely to form? The cactus itself looks fine, and it actually has a lot of multiple new growths starting from its two branches.
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
fanaticactus

Re: Root tuber gone wrong

Post by fanaticactus »

Apparently no one is familiar with this problem? I've already repotted the cactus, so please let me know quickly if I've done something incorrect.
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

Is it too late for a picture of the affected portion of the plant?
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

tumamoc wrote:Is it too late for a picture of the affected portion of the plant?
Unfortunately, yes. The tuber was attached to just one root. It was the size of a lima bean and was filled with a clear gelatinous substance. It had no smell to speak of. I quickly cut it off--along with the rest of the root--and tossed it. All the other tubers (maybe 3 or 4) were firm and everything else looked normal. I saw no insects crawling around. Is it possible that just this one tuber rotted in the dense soil? I guess the soil became compacted after a year; I didn't intend for it to hold so much water. The cactus is now in pumice, diatomaceous earth and very porous aquarium grit.
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Probably rot. Doesn't sound healthy whatever happened to it.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog