Mealybugs on Senecio Kleiniiformis - best pesticide?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Blue Trilobyte

Mealybugs on Senecio Kleiniiformis - best pesticide?

Post by Blue Trilobyte »

A year or two ago I lost a Senecio Kleiniiformis to mystery rot. A few weeks ago I finally found a little one to replace it. Well nothing's ever as simple as it seems and the new Senecio has a case of mealybugs that wasn't very present when I bought it. For the time being I've been picking them off one at a time but its becoming clear that I have to go the next step.

Now, I work at a small garden store, so I have access to a huge selection of commercial pesticides. I was wondering which of the ones in my arsenal would be best to deal with the mealybugs effectively. Here's what I have:

Permethrin contact dust
Bifenthrin spray
Acephate systemic liquid concentrate

Multiple active ingredients (obviously fungicides aren't needed in this case but may be worth listing):

Pyrethrin/Sulfur contact dust and liquid concentrate
Malathion/Carbaryl/Captan liquid concentrate

I also have alcohol ethoxylate ("spreader sticker") that might help with penetrating the mealybugs' wooly coating, but it will only work when mixed with the concentrates.

I'd appreciate any advice in getting rid of these pests, I've learned a lot about pesticides at work but nothing about using them on cacti and succulents.
[Kaktus]
Steve Johnson

Re: Mealybugs on Senecio Kleiniiformis - best pesticide?

Post by Steve Johnson »

Blue Trilobyte wrote:A year or two ago I lost a Senecio Kleiniiformis to mystery rot. A few weeks ago I finally found a little one to replace it. Well nothing's ever as simple as it seems and the new Senecio has a case of mealybugs that wasn't very present when I bought it. For the time being I've been picking them off one at a time but its becoming clear that I have to go the next step.

Now, I work at a small garden store, so I have access to a huge selection of commercial pesticides. I was wondering which of the ones in my arsenal would be best to deal with the mealybugs effectively. Here's what I have:

Permethrin contact dust
Bifenthrin spray
Acephate systemic liquid concentrate

Multiple active ingredients (obviously fungicides aren't needed in this case but may be worth listing):

Pyrethrin/Sulfur contact dust and liquid concentrate
Malathion/Carbaryl/Captan liquid concentrate

I also have alcohol ethoxylate ("spreader sticker") that might help with penetrating the mealybugs' wooly coating, but it will only work when mixed with the concentrates.

I'd appreciate any advice in getting rid of these pests, I've learned a lot about pesticides at work but nothing about using them on cacti and succulents.
Imidacloprid -- see this thread:

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 24&t=33966" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Blue Trilobyte

Post by Blue Trilobyte »

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I got some imidacloprid 1.47% based on your suggestions. As its more concentrated than in the other thread, could you recommend a specific dilution?

Also, I'm just curious if you would know how imidacloprid compares with acephate, as they're both systemics.
[Kaktus]
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Blue Trilobyte wrote:Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I got some imidacloprid 1.47% based on your suggestions. As its more concentrated than in the other thread, could you recommend a specific dilution?

Also, I'm just curious if you would know how imidacloprid compares with acephate, as they're both systemics.
For 1.47% Imidacloprid, 1.5 tsp. per quart of water. To be honest with you, I haven't worked with acephate before, so I don't know how it compares in terms of effectiveness.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

Acephate is absorbed thru the leaves of a plan but not thru the roots. Very effective on evergreen shrubs. (Husband is a landscaper ). Sue