What's wrong with my Cleistocactus strausii?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
friedrich03

What's wrong with my Cleistocactus strausii?

Post by friedrich03 »

My once healthy Cleistocactus strausii started to look like this since last week. what's wrong with it? And what can I do?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (36.44 KiB) Viewed 4065 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (32.68 KiB) Viewed 4065 times
Aiko

Re: What's wrong with my Cleistocactus strausii?

Post by Aiko »

You can cut off the dried out part. It is dead tissue. It probably was too dry. This cactus can take a lot of water when it is not dormant.

Looks like your plant is etiolated, meaning it has stretched out because of a lack of light intensity.

Why don't you place the plant outside for spring and summer? I do that with Cleistocactus strausii up here, in the Netherlands, just letting the rain pour onto it every time. Surely you even have better weather up there with much more sun!
friedrich03

Post by friedrich03 »

I water every week or 10 days and it is outside 24/7 getting direct sunlight from 7am to around 2pm.
friedrich03

Post by friedrich03 »

This is my setup
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (34.32 KiB) Viewed 4044 times
friedrich03

Post by friedrich03 »

Will it grow back if I cut it?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

friedrich03 wrote:Will it grow back if I cut it?
Cutting off the dead part isn't going to hurt its chances any. If that's all one plant, you've already got a new shoot growing - whether the stump of that old stem puts out any new growth only time will tell.
Spence :mrgreen:
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

friedrich03 wrote:This is my setup
I greatly approve of the way you have everything up off the ground ... even though it's only a couple of inches of wood between pot and ground, this will help insulate your plants from pests.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
iann

Post by iann »

I find that (healthy) C. strausii plants rapidly put up new stems when the tips die on existing ones, otherwise only when they get pretty tall.
--ian
Rod Smith

Post by Rod Smith »

My C. strausii did the same thing last winter. During March and early April the two tallest stems began to shrivel about ½ way up and eventually dried up completely. I cut off the shrivelled bits and the remaining parts of the stem have both produced flowers this year. Four other shorter stems are growing vigorously. I believe this species needs to be watered occasionally during the winter and that's what I'll do in future.
Cleistocactus strausii 7 April 2014.JPG
Cleistocactus strausii 7 April 2014.JPG (49.97 KiB) Viewed 3981 times
Cleistocactus strausii flower 18 July 2014.JPG
Cleistocactus strausii flower 18 July 2014.JPG (17.8 KiB) Viewed 3981 times
Cactus enthusiast on and off since boyhood. I have a modest collection of cacti & succulents.
friedrich03

Post by friedrich03 »

Thank you all for your helpful replies. this is the plant now after cutting the dead part. Should I cut more or leave it as is?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (54.21 KiB) Viewed 3960 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (53.68 KiB) Viewed 3960 times
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

You can alway cut more later if it dies back farther, I would just wait and see.
Spence :mrgreen:
Tmonahan42

Post by Tmonahan42 »

I recently brought one of these into my apartment which is bright but with indirect sun. One of the “pillars” or “tentacles” completely broke off at the base. The bottom half of it turned yellow too.

It’s only been a few weeks, and the journey in the car was very stressful, he fell over in the car. I watered once I got him home since I wasn’t sure of the care he had before.
Am I over watering? If yes, what would be a sign that I need to water if I stop watering for a while