mites?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
RichR

mites?

Post by RichR »

Is this yellow discoloration from spider mites?
E_mojavensis_subinermis.jpg
E_mojavensis_subinermis.jpg (200.01 KiB) Viewed 600 times
iann

Re: mites?

Post by iann »

Maybe, but probably just corking. Mite damage usually starts out as a fine speckling, although eventually it can completely scar over the skin.
--ian
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

I don't think you have a lot to worry about. I DO believe that Iann is correct that it is simply corking.

Cacti have a tendency to develop, as they get older/bigger, bark-like areas close to the ground, possibly as a defense mechanism against rot and or pests. This cork like skin is much tougher than the rest of the plants skin.

Note that this "feature" is only present on the larger of the sprouts ... buds ... uhhhh ... limbs ... uhhh, whatever.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
RichR

Post by RichR »

Okay thanks. I considered corking but in my experience the epidermis is not visible through the corking, i.e., the corking is not translucent. I looked at it through a magnifier and saw no mites.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Corking can look different on different species. Some species are prone to developing orange patches. Take a close look at my Ferocactus, it has a similar appearance:
Attachments
This was a year ago - now it looks about the same, the plant is just bigger.
This was a year ago - now it looks about the same, the plant is just bigger.
Pic-20130820-018.jpg (286.56 KiB) Viewed 549 times
Spence :mrgreen: