Contraindications for use of Imidacloprid as a systemic?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Contraindications for use of Imidacloprid as a systemic?

Post by WayneByerly »

Two of my cacti recently developed what was to MY eye, a severe mealy bug infestation, and it was recommended, among other things, that I use Bayer 3-in1 as a systemic Imidacloprid Soak.

Fine, but I have to order another bottle ... the one I have is almost empty.

OK ... it's here, and I'm about to do a systemic soak to a bunch of cacti. But cacti are not all I have. I've a good number of other succulents/caudiciforms.

So I've [b]GOT[/b] to ask ... does ANYBODY know of ANY contraindications that would dictate NOT using it on succulents other than cacti such as: Euphorbia, Eschevaria, Agave. Kelanchoe, Pachypodium, Haworthia, Discorea, Fockea, Jatropha, Aeonium, Crassula or any species of plant life?

BTW ... kudos to Steve Johnson for his initial identification and suggestions.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
BarryRice

Re: Contraindications for use of Imidacloprid as a systemic?

Post by BarryRice »

I have used this product without harm on Aeonium and Escheveria.
I'll grow it as long as it doesn't have glochids. Gaudy flowers a plus.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

Thank You BarryRice ... don'tcha just LOVE the aeonium?
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

WayneByerly wrote:BTW ... kudos to Steve Johnson for his initial identification and suggestions.
Glad I could help, Wayne! Unfortunately I don't know diddly about succulents, but common sense tends to suggest that any plant which gets attacked by mealies should do well with Imidacloprid soil soaks. Only 2 caveats that I should include whenever I discuss it:

1. Pest resistance has been known to occur with constant use of Imidacloprid over time. The only literature I've seen on the subject deals with agricultural applications, so I can't tell you if this is a problem with ornamental plants. A number of growers include preventative soil soaks as part of their springtime regimen every year, although I've gotten away from the idea. Best practice as far as I'm concerned is -- if you don't see any mealies showing up in your collection over the course of the growing season, IMO there's no need for the systemic purely as a preventative. But if you see mealies on even one plant, give everything else a soil soak at the same time.

2. Imidacloprid-laced runoff needs to be disposed of responsibly -- that means NOT down the sink or dumped over the ground. Use an aluminum roasting pan (or something similar) under your pots to capture the runoff, then pour it into a plastic jug you can use for disposal at a place that can deal with home hazardous waste. Most areas have home hazmat collection centers available for neighborhood drop-off, so I don't think you'll have much trouble being able to find one.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
iann

Post by iann »

Fine for all of them as a soil drench. Be more careful with sprays. Directly they can remove attractive blooms, which won't be instantly fatal but is a shame. They will also make the plant extra sensitive to the sun. Definitely don't spray in the sun and shade the plant for a day or two. The same effect is theoretically possible through the roots but I've never seen it actually happen.

Put runoff back in the pot ;)
--ian
Brunãozinho

Post by Brunãozinho »

If your plants are in the open and can be pollinated by bees and other insects it could harm these animals. From what I have read, with bees for example, it shouldn't instantly kill them, it might rather cause changes in their behaviour and disorientate them, and many that are affected by inseticides die because they don't make it back to the colony.
Bruno
keith

Post by keith »

I thought it was the drift when large AG uses this chemical that kills bees? I think BAYER is being sued for this class of pesticides overheard lawyers talking about a class action when I asked it turns out they didn't know jack about pesticides or just didn't want to talk about it ?

I've used it on Dudleyas and Echeverrias and many cactus species no problem EXCEPT it's worthless on Dudleys in Summer have to water with the pesticide in Winter because they go dormant in summer . Also worthless if the roots are gone on the plant.

I watched a fly land in some merit solution I spilled on the concrete it didn't do so good started spinning on its back. So I guess its a contact poison unless the fly drank it ?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Systemics make all parts of the plants toxic to insects. Bees are poisoned by nectar and pollen from treated plants.
Spence :mrgreen:
A. Dean Stock

Post by A. Dean Stock »

Imidacloprid also as acts as a contact spray in addition to systemic action. I've used it for years on orchid leaves as a contact spray for mealies. Resistance can occur and there is data that indicates that mites may increase egg production after imidacloprid treatment so I use the Bayer product with Enstar and Tetrasan. With this mixture, no mites and no resistance. Imidocloprid is very dangerous to bees as a contact and systemic spray and should not be used where bee have direct access to flowers.
Dean
Albert Dean Stock,Ph.D.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yes - I didn't mean to imply that imidacloprid wasn't dangerous if it contacted bees directly, that can kill them outright. The small amount that's in nectar and pollen is much more insidious, the bees take it back to their hive and store it, it becomes food for the entire hive. It's not enough to kill them directly, but comsuming imidacloprid and other neonicotinoids at low levels impairs the bees' ability to navigate - they fly out to forage and can't fiond their way back to the hive. If this happens with too many of the bees, the hive is doomed.
Spence :mrgreen: