Imidacloprid soil drench

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Brunãozinho

Imidacloprid soil drench

Post by Brunãozinho »

Hi there everyone. I want to apply Provado from Bayer as a sistemic inseticide. Should the proportion of the mixture with water be the same for a soil drench as it would be for using it spraying on the plants?
On the product information booklet it says nothing about using it as a soil drench.
And for usage as a spray, the proportion varies between 15ml/100 L of water and 70ml/100 L of water.
I'm using it against mealybugs.
Bruno
K.W.

Re: Imidacloprid soil drench

Post by K.W. »

Brunãozinho wrote:Hi there everyone. I want to apply Provado from Bayer as a sistemic inseticide. Should the proportion of the mixture with water be the same for a soil drench as it would be for using it spraying on the plants?
On the product information booklet it says nothing about using it as a soil drench.
And for usage as a spray, the proportion varies between 15ml/100 L of water and 70ml/100 L of water.
I'm using it against mealybugs.
Good morning Bruno,

why do not you use it as a spray? As you have written, it is a systemic agent. Water plants and then spray Provado.
The agent is then directly absorbed by the plant. But given also on the substrate at the roots.
Imidacloprid has a very long cast time, about a year.
In Provado are 5% active ingredient, 3,5% Imidacloprid per 100 liters of water is very much.

Best wishes

K.W.

PS And, the problem with Imidacloprid is - it is dangerous to bees !!!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
Brunãozinho

Post by Brunãozinho »

Hi K.W.,

Thanks for answering, I was not sure if it would be effective for cacti when used as a spray. But if the plants can absorb it through their skin as you say, then it should work. :)
Since two days I have been applying it as a soil drench. But I wet plants watering from above while doing this too.

I have been very much concerned about the danger it represents to bees. I am working on something to keep cacti isolated when in flower, that should also avoid unwanted pollination.
Bruno
iann

Post by iann »

Effectiveness of the spray on cacti is limited. Too much spray, not enough skin. It also greatly increases the risk of scorching, damages attractive (and sometimes invisible) waxy blooms, and messes with wool. Takeup through the roots solves all those problems, provided the roots are actually taking up water when you need it.
Sigh :( I was almost happier when people just spray poisons about all over the place with no thought. Now they think they're saving the planet by boycotting one scapegoat product but not actually helping honey-bees.

As a soil drench, use it at the same dilution as a spray. I can't tell you exactly what that is without knowing the strength of your concentrate. The variation you quote sounds quite extreme for a standard spray, are you sure they aren't for other uses?
--ian
K.W.

Post by K.W. »

iann wrote:
Sigh :( I was almost happier when people just spray poisons about all over the place with no thought.

Yes, it was a wonderful, happy time! For example the DDT era. . .

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
Brunãozinho

Post by Brunãozinho »

Hi Iann,
the product composition is of 200g/L of Imidacloprid and 900g/L of inert ingredients, according to the product label.
I have attached a picture of the instructions booklet, that shows the mixture proportion of the commercial product for different pests.
For some pest, that attack Lettuce ("alface" in portuguese), it indicates 70ml/100L of water. For citrus plants pests, indication is 15-20ml/100L of water, and for a mealybug of the genus Orthezia the indication is 35-50ml/100L of water.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (75.22 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (80.12 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
Bruno