Mealybugs

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
CactusMad

Mealybugs

Post by CactusMad »

Hi,I know there is a lot of information on this topic and I have read loads.There is so many different people saying different things it is hard to decide which to do.Two of my cacti have mealybugs.At the moment it isn't a bad case.As i am ocd and now paranoid that all my others are going to get it too,i just don't know what to do.Can you kind people give me a good idea what to do for the best and also do I need to check the roots of these plants?

Sylv.
adetheproducer

Re: Mealybugs

Post by adetheproducer »

I squish any visible mealies usually with a cocktail stick/tooth pick. I did buy some bayer pesticide spray for a few problem plants that worked well.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
BarryRice

Post by BarryRice »

As long as they are not in the roots, when I see mealies I bring that plant indoors for about two days, during which I spray them to dripping-wet with 70% isopropyl alcohol. Only after they've dried fully do I return the plant to the collection. If you catch it soon, so only a few plants have it, you'll be ok.

However, any mealy bug should put you on high alert. Watch other, nearby plants for signs of a spreading population.
I'll grow it as long as it doesn't have glochids. Gaudy flowers a plus.
CactusMad

Post by CactusMad »

Is it a good idea to look at the plants roots or will they be o.k ?
iann

Post by iann »

Above ground mealies and root mealies are different species. Having one doesn't mean you'll have to other. Unless you're very lucky, seeing either on one plant does mean they'll be on more plants.
--ian
wildblue

Post by wildblue »

I've had losing battles with mealybugs on some succulents--the bugs were so persistent despite my best attempts that I finally tossed the plant. I've got an ongoing war with them on my haworthia truncata, and I refuse to give up. I saturate the leaves with insecticidal soap and then go through meticulously with a toothpick to squish all the little suckers. I do this at least once a week. Being OCD can certainly give you an edge in such situations :wink: I've tried Bayer 3-in-1 to no avail, but might not have applied it in the right concentration.
CactusMad

Post by CactusMad »

Hi how can you see the mealybugs? All i see are the little cotton wool like balls.Thank you for your reply also.

Sylv.
iann

Post by iann »

CactusMad wrote:Hi how can you see the mealybugs? All i see are the little cotton wool like balls.Thank you for your reply also.

Sylv.
The cotton balls are mealie nurseries, usually with an adult and young inside, sometimes already empty. The females spin them when they''re ready to settle down, then fill them with eggs and eventually tiny nymphs. The nymphs then run over your whole collection and settle down somewhere tasty. If you have cotton balls you are pretty much knee deep in mealies and should treat the whole collection with a systemic. However satisfying it might be to squish them individually, you'll never rid yourself of them that way. Every full-grown mealie you see is a female and the adults are almost always pregnant. Males are small, dark, and they can fly, but they exist as adults only for a day or two to fertilise the females.

If you just spot an odd mealie on a new plant and you're lucky then you can remove it, check carefully for more, and just maybe stop the whole thing before it starts.
--ian
CactusMad

Post by CactusMad »

When you say remove the mealybugs,are you referring to the cotton balls then?Also what's the best thing to treat with?

Sylv.
Rod Smith

Post by Rod Smith »

You can dab individual mealies and nests with IPA (isopropyl alcohol). That kills them on contact but too much of it can damage the epidermis of cacti and the leaves of succulents. [I'd rather risk that than have an infestation of mealies]. Alternatively use a systemic insecticidal spray or solution that specifically mentions use on mealy bugs. This can be sprayed on the plant to kill on contact (do it out of the sun) and watered into the compost to kill systemically. It is coming up to an awkward time of year to use systemics, as plants will soon become dormant and cease to take up water, so systemic treatment won't be effective.
Cactus enthusiast on and off since boyhood. I have a modest collection of cacti & succulents.
HairyHarry

Post by HairyHarry »

You have to be as persistent as the bug. Let me rephrase; you have to be more persistent than the bug.

If I see one, I take the plant apart and put it next to my computer. Why there? I keep a soap and/or alcohol solution next to it plant with a little ink brush. While working on my computer I check the plant for bugs whenever I am waiting ((re)booting etc., it does help if you have a slow computer). I do this for a week and am usually succesfull in nipping the next generation in the bud. Of course, the plant will get a good inspection every couple of days for a few weeks. If they return I repeat the same m.o.

It is an ongoing battle, but it is surely effective in preventing plagues.
Diane64

Post by Diane64 »

I just posted a LONG message WITH 5 imagines and like an idiot hit the "save a draft" option. I didn't think that was an ONLY option, thought it was just included.
NOW I can't find my draft.
It's really important, I may be in BIG TROUBLE. Could some body PLEASE help me? This is my first time posting on this website, and I don't know what I'm doing.
Don't even know which option below to click---SUBMIT or FULL EDITOR ?
I don't mind re-posting the imagines, but PLEASE HELP!!!

Thank You--Found It!! Are the imagines viewable, or should I re-post? Thank again
Last edited by Diane64 on Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diane64

Post by Diane64 »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
The attachment 20141006_0021.jpg is no longer available
The attachment 20141006_0022.jpg is no longer available
The attachment 20141006_0025.jpg is no longer available
The attachment 20141006_0017.jpg is no longer available
The attachment 20141006_0027.jpg is no longer available
The attachment 20141006_0025.jpg is no longer available
How can you tell the difference between a Mealybug and the normal fuzzy bumps that are all over where the spines come out? This particular fuzzy bump on my
"Mammulosa, ssp.Brasilensis" , looked larger than the others. So I took out my Digital USB (laptop) Microscope to get a better look.

Low and behold, with patience, I saw something with a big black head emerge. I don't know how many imagines you're allowed to post at one time, this being my first
time, but I have a whole series of about 4 good shots of this thing, with what appears to be an "egg shell" next to it.
I guess I'll just post the last imagine in case you're only allowed one. Sure would like to show you it emerging. :shock:

After freaking out from reading you kind peoples posts, I have already run out and sprayed Insecticidal Soap on it, (and a bunch of others), and a tiny black thing fell
out of it. I've had this Cactus for years, finally got pretty pink flowers summer before last.

Last winter, I did rescue a beautiful "Echinopsis Oxygona" that blessed me with huge gorgeous white/pinkish blooms. Only last one night. I think it has Anthracnose (fungus) that my Bell Pepper leaves have.
How I could get that in the desert of Las Vegas, Nevada is a mystery!! Leaf Footed Plant Bugs just totally destroyed ALL my Tomatoes, too

I'm DOOMED, Huh? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It's been a very unusually season here in the drought stricken DESERT!!!
Thanks so much, Diane

OK, Here goes again with the photos. Hope it works, I think they're cool.--The imagines, NOT the MealyBug!!
Attachments
MealyBug emerging
MealyBug emerging
20141006_0017.jpg (108.15 KiB) Viewed 2248 times
Did you see those tiny dots? Now he rears his head
Did you see those tiny dots? Now he rears his head
20141006_0021.jpg (119.3 KiB) Viewed 2248 times
Here he comes... Looks like he has a "body".
Here he comes... Looks like he has a "body".
20141006_0024.jpg (157.81 KiB) Viewed 2248 times
Do you see that broken "egg shell" next to him?
Do you see that broken "egg shell" next to him?
20141006_0026.jpg (169.03 KiB) Viewed 2248 times
Opposite side. Got stuck good for this one
Opposite side. Got stuck good for this one
20141006_0027.jpg (110.52 KiB) Viewed 2248 times
Last edited by Diane64 on Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
CactusMad

Post by CactusMad »

Hi Diane and welcome.Your images aren't working.You can use the upload attachment button,try that.I would really like to see the pictures.If you can get a systemic insecticide that's the best stuff i have found.

Sylv.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Don't use "Quick Reply" if you want to post images - either go to "Full Editor" from there, or use the "Post a Reply" button in the first place, which opens the full editor. The full editor gives you the option to upload attachments (i.e. images), and to preview your post to make sure that images and links work. Plus, you can add smilies :D

You can fix the posts that didn't work right, though, with the "Edit" button.
Spence :mrgreen: