Euphorbia like plant. Need urgent Help!

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
gehcole

Euphorbia like plant. Need urgent Help!

Post by gehcole »

IMG_0696.JPG
IMG_0696.JPG (15.94 KiB) Viewed 802 times
This plant was added in an arrangement with other plants and a cactus I wanted. I liked it but have no idea what it is. Could it be euphorbia? I have been unable to plant it in cactus substrate. After a couple o hours it begins to rot a the root and doubles over at the level of the earth. What can I do?
HairyHarry

Re: Euphorbia like plant. Need urgent Help!

Post by HairyHarry »

If the cactus only holds for a few hours... then the rot is serious. Will be hard to save it. I'd say you should try to root a healthy cutting of the top of the plant. But not knowing the species makes it hard to determine what your chances are. Well, maybe this bump will cause people to ID it and help you further.
gemhunter178

Re: Euphorbia like plant. Need urgent Help!

Post by gemhunter178 »

These are in fact Euphorbias, though I don't know the species (possibly trigona or similar?). Though I don't know if rot could double over a plant that quickly. Is the bottom of it squishy and brown?
If it is rotting, you have to cut it at the base and keep cutting upwards until no signs of rot show in the last cut you made, if you want to be safe the blade should be sterilized on the final cut. *Warning*: Sap from Euphorbias can cause all sorts of irritation, try not to get it on yourself.
If you cut it, wait for it to dry for a few days and root it like any other cutting.
A picture of the rot would be helpful.
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.