Acephate for Mealybugs?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
dvdmsy

Acephate for Mealybugs?

Post by dvdmsy »

Hi there,

I realize that acephate is terrible for the environment, but my mealybug infestation has become serious. Has anyone had any experience with acephate 97up with potted plants? If so, how much did you use (the directions give proportion by acre).

Cheers,

David
iann

Re: Acephate for Mealybugs?

Post by iann »

Are you planning to put your Acephate into the environment? I'd be more concerned about its effect on you. Nasty, as I'm sure you know. So keep it on the plants ;)

Are you intending to spray? Probably best for an established infestation. 1 teaspoon/gallon. A gallon will do more than one cactus :lol: Only make as much as you intend to spray.
--ian
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

If you are going to use a full fledged insecticide that isn't necessarily the most environmentally friendly thing in the world why not use imidacloprid? It is a long lasting systemic, can be used as a soil drench, and is easy to find. This time of year in New York you aren't going to have many bees about anyway, and that is the main concern with that pesticide. It is also much less toxic to humans than an organophosphate like acephate.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Saxicola wrote:If you are going to use a full fledged insecticide that isn't necessarily the most environmentally friendly thing in the world why not use imidacloprid? It is a long lasting systemic, can be used as a soil drench, and is easy to find. This time of year in New York you aren't going to have many bees about anyway, and that is the main concern with that pesticide. It is also much less toxic to humans than an organophosphate like acephate.
Imidacloprid yes, but soil soaks don't do any good when cacti are dormant in fall and winter. Best to do it in spring or summer when the roots are active and able to take Imidacloprid-laced water up through the roots into the plant's tissues. Spring if the grower already has a mealy problem at that time, summer if mealies appear then or a new acquisition in summer comes with them. (To all you beginning cactus growers out there -- don't bring pest-infested plants home with you! A caution that should apply especially for people who go to big-box stores to find cacti.)
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)