Is this spider mites, or what?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
SkyClan Cat

Is this spider mites, or what?

Post by SkyClan Cat »

IMG_4528.png
IMG_4528.png (474.64 KiB) Viewed 814 times
IMG_4527.png
IMG_4527.png (488.94 KiB) Viewed 814 times
I tried swabbing the areas with alcohol, and got this
IMG_4520.png
IMG_4520.png (353.46 KiB) Viewed 814 times
(That one was from the segments in the second picture; the first one wasn't nearly as bad.)

The second picture looks like whatever took over and nearly killed this same plant a couple years ago. I have removed that particular branch already.

I'm going to have to bring it into the house soon due to the weather, and I already have no idea where to put it, especially if I wind up having to isolate it.
We do what we must
because we can.
For the good of all of us.
Except the ones who are dead.
But there's no sense crying over every mistake.
You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
HairyHarry

Re: Is this spider mites, or what?

Post by HairyHarry »

Hmm, with spider smites this severe I would expect more/some webbing.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

HairyHarry wrote:Hmm, with spider smites this severe I would expect more/some webbing.
Depends on the type of pest mite we're dealing with. Red spider mites do spin tiny webs, although I don't see anything like that in SCC's photos. (Besides, you can see their reddish-colored bodies with the unaided eye.) Flat mites don't spin webs, and while they can't be seen without magnification, the damage they leave behind isn't consistent with what we see in the photos either. The problem could be mealies, although I'm not confident enough with that diagnosis to say for sure.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
hegar

Post by hegar »

Another small insect that causes a stippling of leaves and succulent green stems would be thrips. These have elongated bodies. You can also examine your plant very closely for scale insects. Most of those tiny pests occurring on cacti are either dirty white in color or brown.
Did you check the "Pests and Disease" section of this site? A lot of the possible cactus pests are covered there.

Harald