old man cactus rooting. 2nd attempt

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
pinkham

old man cactus rooting. 2nd attempt

Post by pinkham »

here is whats left of an 18 inch old man cactus I got in a bad trade this summer. The whole bottom 5 inches were rotted when I got it.
I had 2 decent sized pieces left after I cut all the bad parts off. I let it sit for a week to callous before planting. 3 weeks later I checked to see if anything was happening...and both pieces were rotted. I cut 5 inches off the top and tossed the rest. I dusted this piece with rooting hormone and let it sit for a month. It looked like small roots were starting to grow so I planted it. That was a few weeks ago. It's been sitting under my grow lights ever since. I'll give it another few weeks and then give it a little drink.
Is there anything else I could do to improve it's chance of survival?
Don't worry about the yellow leaves in the background. lol It's just an attempt at rooting a chinese evergreen cutting. :)
Attachments
omc3.jpg
omc3.jpg (32.39 KiB) Viewed 1910 times
cactushobbyman

Re: old man cactus rooting. 2nd attempt

Post by cactushobbyman »

I find these to take a very long time to root and require more care with water while trying to root. I think your is some type of Oreocereus, ??? trollii. I have one sitting in pure gravel all spring and summer and water it maybe once every two weeks. I should see some signs of growth in spring and only then will I re-pot. :D
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

I find these to take a very long time to root and require more care with water while trying to root. I think your is some type of Oreocereus, ??? trollii. I have one sitting in pure gravel all spring and summer and water it maybe once every two weeks. I should see some signs of growth in spring and only then will I re-pot. :D
pinkham

Post by pinkham »

so, I'll just wait it out. I didn't realize they rooted slowly. thanks.
pinkham

Post by pinkham »

Here is the cactus. It's noticeably thinner. Is it dying a slow death here? This cactus was in rough shape when I got it (in a bad trade) so I won't feel personally responsible if it is dead. :lol:
Attachments
omc3.jpg
omc3.jpg (23.41 KiB) Viewed 1847 times
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Not surprising that it's shrinking, it has to use its stored water and energy to survive and grow roots. Might even be a good sign, if it means that it is growing roots.
Spence :mrgreen:
pinkham

Post by pinkham »

I lightly tugged on it. It was loose so I pulled it out and it was all black in the center. It's in the trash now.