Dioscorea elephantipes root rot

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
emilleejoyce

Dioscorea elephantipes root rot

Post by emilleejoyce »

Hello,

Last night I realized the dirt I had my dioscorea elephantipes planted in was much too rich and not drying out fast enough. So I immediately un-potted it to get the wet dirt away from the caudex. I think I got to it just in time. There was a large amount of rotted roots. I cleaned off the dirt as much as I could as well as the dead roots and it has been drying out since last night. I'm not very familiar with this plant and I am concerned the caudex may have rot but I can't tell. Where the roots come out of the caudex, there is an indentation/cavity. I was hoping someone who is more familiar with this plant could tell me if that is normal. It doesn't look like rot but this is my most prized plant and I want to be extra sure.

I was also hoping someone who is more familiar with this plant could tell me what the likelihood is that my plant will be perfectly fine. I've read they're pretty hardy. My elephantipes is also in leaf right now and I wondered if all of this would affect the leaf growth.
Thanks!
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (93.32 KiB) Viewed 2746 times
photo 1-2.JPG
photo 1-2.JPG (95.94 KiB) Viewed 2746 times
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (90.06 KiB) Viewed 2746 times
Jo

Re: Dioscorea elephantipes root rot

Post by Jo »

Hard to tell seeing the picture.

I killed my 12 cm D.elephantipes maybe 5 years ago. The plant looked healthy and in full growth - three vines full of leaves and no suspicion at first sight.
Then checked the bottom part of the caudex by fingers and already I knew I need to pull it out of the pot to inspect it more closely.
There were rotting roots I could easily remove but immediately realized that this is just a minor problem.
Bottom part of the caudex was ominously soft (I would describe it as a mushy mess rather) to the touch and I knew it's the end.....The affected portion was very large and deep, so there wasn't chance to save the plant.

When the affected area is relatively small, I would suggest using a sharp knife to cut the rotting tissue off, carefully disinfect and let it dry for couple od weeks.
emilleejoyce

Post by emilleejoyce »

Well none of the caudex that I can touch feels soft, including where the indentation/cavity is that I was wondering about. So I think it is okay. I just wasn't sure if it was a bad sign.

Just for future reference, what would you use to disinfect a rotted spot?
Jo

Post by Jo »

Normally I use rubbing alcohol. Some use cinnamon powder, haven't tried it though.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Dust it with sulfur.
Spence :mrgreen:
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Ive personally used cinnamon and it turned my cacti to a mushy mess that sunk into itself and eventually died... but I've heard people have used it with good result, but i won't be trying it again, personally. I'd stick with alcohol or sulfur powder. :) Goodluck