Need help - Mealybug(?) & Broken Sprout

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
signal

Re: Need help - Mealybug(?) & Broken Sprout

Post by signal »

I haven't confirmed it, hence the "?" in the title, but I guess if safe to say they aren't mealybugs since the alchohol didn't help?

The white fluffy stuff is not natural, it wasnt there until the cactus started deteriorating recently. Whatever this white fluff is, it killed 3 other mini cacti in the same way. I was hoping there was a way to save this one… is there not?

I tried scraping it off, the skin is so tender it just punctured the cactus. Am I going to have to scrape off the skin, or cut the top off? I don't think there's much hope for this one… the tiny broken sprout may be the only thing left.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

DON'T SCRAPE THE SKIN OFF!!
Cacti grow fluffy hairs in between the spikes when making new growth at times or with age and maturity, i think u are panicking when you should just leave it be. Its not dying from the "fluff" its prob dying from rot or something else. Is the cause soft? If u poke it with a needle does it leak brownish fluids? If so its rot and it will prob succumb to the rot unless u stop it from spreading and find the source of the problem, the soil mixture is to heavy that could be the problem that's causing them to die or its the dried out base of the plant that needs to be chopped off and allowed to callous over before trying to re root the plant.
Dont scrape at the fluffy bits or the cacti skin, if u don't kno what it is. Cause you could be killing it instead of helping it.
I don't think they are mealys or they would be dead and when alcohal is touched to the white fluff they wpuld turn brown and be able to be removed with a qtip, so i think u either need to leave it as is or repot it, chop it or find out if its got rott or a infection/disease...and stop the source of the problem.
Goodluck
signal

Post by signal »

The cactus skin is turning brown in the area. It is starting to rot. It is definitely not new growth, this same thing happened happened to 2 other cacti of mine and they died soon after. I've put this one in the garage where it's pretty cold, which has kept this one alive for this long. I was hoping I could stop whatever mold is causing this somehow, but I guess not. I guess I'll have to 'amputate' the infected area in hopes of keeping it alive.
Whatever it is must be some type of mold, but you're right, definitely not mealybugs.

Thanks for the advice, I'll see if there's anything I can do for it…
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Maybe its frost bite , if u cut the top off reroot it maybe the bottom section that is rooted will grow a new offset, unless it Completely rots
Sterilizing the knife os important after every cut, and put sulfur powder on the cut after so it can dry without getting infection.and cut until u see fresh green healthy tissue in the inside, no brownish coloration or orangeish coloration..etc..etc...
signal

Post by signal »

Okay: so here's what's going on:
The broken sprout has died.
The remaining two pieces are still alive, both attached to the base.
The large one has some sort of mold or bug that is killing it.
I don't think the base/roots are dead, because the base's exposed interior hasn't dried and crumbled away [picture 2], after being the way it is for at least a year. So, I don't think I need to repot it.
The mold seems to have spread, but it's hard to tell because of the thick spines.
The top is the worst hit by the mold. [picture 1] It is becoming mushy and brown, and the spikes are falling off.

Here's a closeup of the mold:
image.jpg
image.jpg (55.75 KiB) Viewed 1432 times
Here's the broken base that despite its appearance has not dried, so I believe it's still alive. This giant hole is from a large piece that died over a year ago
image.jpg
image.jpg (77.38 KiB) Viewed 1432 times

SO THE QUESTION IS:
How do I kill the mold?
Rod Smith

Post by Rod Smith »

In the main picture the stem of the plant is very wrinkled and could be dying. It looks as though the top of the plant (as much as can be seen) is rotting. The white fluff in at the base of the tubercles is the natural hairy fluff from the plant. By the overall look of the plant I'd say you don't have much chance of saving it. You could try slicing off the top with a sharp disinfected knife, leaving clean tissue on the lower part of the plant. Let the cut callous over then try growing it as normal. If it still has viable roots, pot it and see what happens. If there are no roots, treat it as you would any unrooted cutting.
Cactus enthusiast on and off since boyhood. I have a modest collection of cacti & succulents.
signal

Post by signal »

I guess you're right - the white stuff isn't what's killing it. I've had several cacti in the past killed by a mysterious white mold, but unlike that, this stuff isn't spreading to cover the whole cactus.

So, you're also right it doesn't look good, but I'll see what I can do. It seems to be maintaining its current appearance, so I'll see what it does, but I will most likely have to cut the rot off (of course)

Thanks to all who helped with this
signal

Post by signal »

Just an update - both the cactus and sprout died, as unfortunately expected